Mar 22, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: 1:40 PM: (9) Temple vs (8) North Carolina State — TBS
NC State wants to do nothing other than get out and run the floor. They don’t defend. They don’t even really execute in the half court. They want to run and they want to get their talent in a position to score. That’s a fun style of play to watch, especially when you have the number of really good basketball players that Mark Gottfried does.
But the Owls are pretty entertaining in their own right. Let’s move beyond, for a second, their versatile and dangerous trio of big men — Jake O’Brien, Anthony Lee and Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson — as well as the dangerous Scootie Randall. Temple has Khalif Wyatt, and if you’ve never seen him play, you won’t want to miss this. He won’t blow you away with speed or athleticism, but he’s a crafty veteran that hits really tough shots and plays his best when the lights are the brightest. I’m expecting a huge game out of Wyatt on Friday.
Three more games you cannot miss
- 7:20 PM: (9) Villanova vs (8) North Carolina — TNT: Does anyone really think they know what to expect here? Villanova has a ton of good wins and bad losses. North Carolina doesn’t really have either. The Heels spread the floor, the Wildcats pressure on the perimeter. Jay Wright and Roy Williams. This has “final possession” written all over it.
- 9:20 PM: (10) Oklahoma vs (7) San Diego State — TBS: SDSU has really good guards and a talented swingman in Jamaal Franklin. Oklahoma has some versatile big men that matchup with well with SDSU. And Lon Kruger used to coach UNLV, SDSU’s rival.
- 9:45 PM: (10) Iowa State vs (7) Notre Dame — CBS: If you like guard play, there are a lot of them in this game.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET: 3:10 PM: (13) La Salle vs (4) Kansas State — tru TV
I don’t have this in my bracket, but after watching the Explorers handle Boise State on Wednesday night, I got to thinking: How is Kansas State going to matchup with La Salle’s guards? I still haven’t come up with an answer. I think Ramon Galloway goes off and John Giannini advances to the round of 32.
WHO’S NOT GETTING UPSET: 9:57 PM: (11) Minnesota vs (6) UCLA — tru TV
I know the thinking. UCLA is without Jordan Adams, they are allergic to rebounding and all Minnesota can do offensively is rebound the ball. I see it, I promise. But I also know that Minnesota is 5-11 in their last 16 games. Are we really supposed to just assume that this team can simply turn it back on for the postseason?
BEST INDIVIDUAL MATCHUP: 7:15 PM: (15) Iona vs (2) Ohio State — CBS
Momo Jones is a talented basketball player and a blessed scorer. The Arizona transfer is now a member of the Iona Gaels. He’ll be locking horns with Aaron Craft, arguably the best on-ball defender in the country. That should be fun, and I fully expect Jones to be locked down.
INTRIGUING MATCHUP: 2:45 PM: (10) Cincinnati vs (7) Creighton — CBS
Creighton has a ton of scoring and arguably is the best three-point shooting team in the country, but they can’t defend all that well. Cincinnati is as tough and as physical on the defensive end as anyone in the country, but they cannot score. What wins out? And more importantly, if you took Cincinnati’s defense and Creighton’s offense, would that team win the national title?
12:15 PM: (15) Albany vs (2) Duke — CBS
12:40 PM: (12) Ole Miss vs (5) Wisconsin — tru TV
1:40 PM: (9) Temple vs (8) North Carolina State — TBS
2:10 PM: (15) Pacific vs (2) Miami (FL) — TNT
2:45 PM: (10) Cincinnati vs (7) Creighton — CBS
3:10 PM: (13) La Salle vs (4) Kansas State — tru TV
4:10 PM: (16) James Madison vs (1) Indiana — TBS
4:40 PM: (10) Colorado vs (7) Illinois — TNT
6:50 PM: (15) Florida Gulf Coast vs (2) Georgetown — TBS
7:15 PM: (15) Iona vs (2) Ohio State — CBS
7:20 PM: (9) Villanova vs (8) North Carolina — TNT
7:27 PM: (14) Northwestern State vs (3) Florida — tru TV
9:20 PM: (10) Oklahoma vs (7) San Diego State — TBS
9:45 PM: (10) Iowa State vs (7) Notre Dame — CBS
9:50 PM: (16) Western Kentucky vs (1) Kansas — TNT
9:57 PM: (11) Minnesota vs (6) UCLA — tru TV
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No surprise that Murray State and Belmont are expected to be at the top of the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
L.J. Rose is expected to return around Christmas.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Gators are good enough to win the SEC. They have enough question marks to finish outside the top 25 as well.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
That fan looks like he’s enjoying things.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
These are the players to keep an eye on if you like seeing aerial acrobatics.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kansas State is losing a redshirt freshman to transfer.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia got a very skilled guard in the 2016 class.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Florida landed an in-state Class of 2015 wing to make it a four-man class.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Memphis found a 2016 guard to join center Nick Marshall in the recruiting class.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
SMU could be in trouble if a second-team all-league pick is ruled ineligible.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
News and notes from the world of college basketball recruiting.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Lorenzo Romar now has a six-man recruiting class for 2015.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Oklahoma has a chance to be the second-best team in the Big 12, especially if a key player receives a waiver.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Hawks will have a thin front court this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Five new hires that should thrive, and five who may end up struggling.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Stevie Clark was dismissed from Oklahoma State after a pair of bizarre incidents involving the police.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Chris Walker sounds pretty funny.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Jaylen Brantley is Maryland’s first commitment in the class.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
After riding the coattails of a pair of Californians, Weber State’s focus on recruiting the state of Texas will pay off this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Thon Maker has another mixtape out.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)