Mar 22, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: 1:40 PM: (9) Temple vs (8) North Carolina State — TBS
NC State wants to do nothing other than get out and run the floor. They don’t defend. They don’t even really execute in the half court. They want to run and they want to get their talent in a position to score. That’s a fun style of play to watch, especially when you have the number of really good basketball players that Mark Gottfried does.
But the Owls are pretty entertaining in their own right. Let’s move beyond, for a second, their versatile and dangerous trio of big men — Jake O’Brien, Anthony Lee and Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson — as well as the dangerous Scootie Randall. Temple has Khalif Wyatt, and if you’ve never seen him play, you won’t want to miss this. He won’t blow you away with speed or athleticism, but he’s a crafty veteran that hits really tough shots and plays his best when the lights are the brightest. I’m expecting a huge game out of Wyatt on Friday.
Three more games you cannot miss
- 7:20 PM: (9) Villanova vs (8) North Carolina — TNT: Does anyone really think they know what to expect here? Villanova has a ton of good wins and bad losses. North Carolina doesn’t really have either. The Heels spread the floor, the Wildcats pressure on the perimeter. Jay Wright and Roy Williams. This has “final possession” written all over it.
- 9:20 PM: (10) Oklahoma vs (7) San Diego State — TBS: SDSU has really good guards and a talented swingman in Jamaal Franklin. Oklahoma has some versatile big men that matchup with well with SDSU. And Lon Kruger used to coach UNLV, SDSU’s rival.
- 9:45 PM: (10) Iowa State vs (7) Notre Dame — CBS: If you like guard play, there are a lot of them in this game.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET: 3:10 PM: (13) La Salle vs (4) Kansas State — tru TV
I don’t have this in my bracket, but after watching the Explorers handle Boise State on Wednesday night, I got to thinking: How is Kansas State going to matchup with La Salle’s guards? I still haven’t come up with an answer. I think Ramon Galloway goes off and John Giannini advances to the round of 32.
WHO’S NOT GETTING UPSET: 9:57 PM: (11) Minnesota vs (6) UCLA — tru TV
I know the thinking. UCLA is without Jordan Adams, they are allergic to rebounding and all Minnesota can do offensively is rebound the ball. I see it, I promise. But I also know that Minnesota is 5-11 in their last 16 games. Are we really supposed to just assume that this team can simply turn it back on for the postseason?
BEST INDIVIDUAL MATCHUP: 7:15 PM: (15) Iona vs (2) Ohio State — CBS
Momo Jones is a talented basketball player and a blessed scorer. The Arizona transfer is now a member of the Iona Gaels. He’ll be locking horns with Aaron Craft, arguably the best on-ball defender in the country. That should be fun, and I fully expect Jones to be locked down.
INTRIGUING MATCHUP: 2:45 PM: (10) Cincinnati vs (7) Creighton — CBS
Creighton has a ton of scoring and arguably is the best three-point shooting team in the country, but they can’t defend all that well. Cincinnati is as tough and as physical on the defensive end as anyone in the country, but they cannot score. What wins out? And more importantly, if you took Cincinnati’s defense and Creighton’s offense, would that team win the national title?
12:15 PM: (15) Albany vs (2) Duke — CBS
12:40 PM: (12) Ole Miss vs (5) Wisconsin — tru TV
1:40 PM: (9) Temple vs (8) North Carolina State — TBS
2:10 PM: (15) Pacific vs (2) Miami (FL) — TNT
2:45 PM: (10) Cincinnati vs (7) Creighton — CBS
3:10 PM: (13) La Salle vs (4) Kansas State — tru TV
4:10 PM: (16) James Madison vs (1) Indiana — TBS
4:40 PM: (10) Colorado vs (7) Illinois — TNT
6:50 PM: (15) Florida Gulf Coast vs (2) Georgetown — TBS
7:15 PM: (15) Iona vs (2) Ohio State — CBS
7:20 PM: (9) Villanova vs (8) North Carolina — TNT
7:27 PM: (14) Northwestern State vs (3) Florida — tru TV
9:20 PM: (10) Oklahoma vs (7) San Diego State — TBS
9:45 PM: (10) Iowa State vs (7) Notre Dame — CBS
9:50 PM: (16) Western Kentucky vs (1) Kansas — TNT
9:57 PM: (11) Minnesota vs (6) UCLA — tru TV
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Scottie Lindsey put one on a defender during Northwestern’s trip to Spain.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
According to the New York Post, Morton will go back to teaching full-time.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Michigan State scheduled games against three national teams preparing for next month’s Eurobasket championships (Russia, Italy and Georgia).
Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
According to head coach Ray Harper, Kristaps Gluditis was regarded as one of the top shooters in Europe.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Tillie is a skilled forward who will have the chance to contribute immediately in 2016-17 due to the eventual losses of Kyle Wiltjer and Przemek Karnowski (both are seniors this season).
Aug 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Theo Pinson makes a bold statement and backs it up by burying a tough shot.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Washington is losing another player as the team only returns two scholarship players from last season.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Michigan received some positive news as a key member of the 2014-15 season returned to the floor.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Seventh Woods still has plenty of highlight plays up his sleeve.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Stanford falls to 1-1 on the foreign tour.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The ex-Oklahoma commit decides to state in-state.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Last week, 24 of the best high school basketball players participated in the 10th annual event.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Three of Jordan Bohannon’s older brothers have played Division I college basketball, but he’s the first to pick their father’s alma mater.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
During his first bout with the disease Smith suffered cardiac arrest and lapsed into a coma that lasted for three days.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
And the toss was a solid one as well.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)