Mar 22, 2013, 7:27 PM EST
It’s risky to put too much stock into any performance that a No. 1 seed has against a No. 16 seed.
Which is why we shouldn’t look too much into the details surrounding Indiana’s overwhelming win over James Madison in the opening round of the NCAA tournament on Friday afternoon. The talent disparity is too great, and with a battle with Temple coming up on Sunday afternoon, it’s no surprise that Tom Crean might call off the dogs up 43-22 at halftime.
But if you are going to take something out of this game, how about Yogi Ferrell?
He scored 14 of Indiana’s first 16 points. He finished with 16 points, eight boards and six assists. He only had one turnover. He was the best player on the floor for the Hoosiers.
Which is significant, because he certainly isn’t the best player on that team. Cody Zeller is. Or Victor Oladipo, depending on your perspective. Ferrell probably isn’t even the best point guard on the Indiana roster as long as Jordy Hulls is around.
So the fact that he was the best player on the floor in their first tournament game matters, if for no other reason than the fact that he proved that he’s capable of playing with the pressure of March Madness of his shoulders.
Beyond that, Indiana advanced. And they’ll be taking on Temple on Sunday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Rasheed Sulaimon climbs out of the doghouse in No. 8 Duke’s 80-63 win 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who will be the next undefeated team to lose? 1
- Texas hangs on to beat No. 14 North Carolina in Chapel Hill 4
- The Chase for 180: Nic Moore’s hot start 0
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 7
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (9)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (7)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)