Mar 23, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Speculation of Jamie Dixon taking the job opening at Southern California can end, as Pittsburgh announced Saturday that it has signed its head coach to a contract extension through the 2022-23 season.
Dixon led Pittsburgh to a 24-9 overall record this season, including 12-6 in the Big East. His Pittsburgh team was an 8-seed in the 2013 NCAA tournament and lost in the Round of 64 to 9-seed Wichita State.
“Pitt and Pittsburgh are home,” Dixon said in the release. “My family and I feel blessed to be part of such a great institution and wonderful city. It is the people who truly make a place special. I could not be surrounded by better players, staff and administration. These aren’t just people I work for and with every day. They’re friends and I’m very thankful for that.”
Dixon joined Pittsburgh in 1999 as an associate head coach and became head coach beginning in the 2003-04 season after Ben Howland moved to take over the same position at UCLA. In his 10 seasons with the Panthers, he has amassed an overall record of 262-86. Pittsburgh moves to the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Very few programs can match the sustained success that Pitt basketball has achieved during the past decade under Jamie Dixon,” Pederson said. “As we move forward as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, our future has never been brighter or provided more opportunity.”
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)