Mar 23, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Speculation of Jamie Dixon taking the job opening at Southern California can end, as Pittsburgh announced Saturday that it has signed its head coach to a contract extension through the 2022-23 season.
Dixon led Pittsburgh to a 24-9 overall record this season, including 12-6 in the Big East. His Pittsburgh team was an 8-seed in the 2013 NCAA tournament and lost in the Round of 64 to 9-seed Wichita State.
“Pitt and Pittsburgh are home,” Dixon said in the release. “My family and I feel blessed to be part of such a great institution and wonderful city. It is the people who truly make a place special. I could not be surrounded by better players, staff and administration. These aren’t just people I work for and with every day. They’re friends and I’m very thankful for that.”
Dixon joined Pittsburgh in 1999 as an associate head coach and became head coach beginning in the 2003-04 season after Ben Howland moved to take over the same position at UCLA. In his 10 seasons with the Panthers, he has amassed an overall record of 262-86. Pittsburgh moves to the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Very few programs can match the sustained success that Pitt basketball has achieved during the past decade under Jamie Dixon,” Pederson said. “As we move forward as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, our future has never been brighter or provided more opportunity.”
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)