Mar 23, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Speculation of Jamie Dixon taking the job opening at Southern California can end, as Pittsburgh announced Saturday that it has signed its head coach to a contract extension through the 2022-23 season.
Dixon led Pittsburgh to a 24-9 overall record this season, including 12-6 in the Big East. His Pittsburgh team was an 8-seed in the 2013 NCAA tournament and lost in the Round of 64 to 9-seed Wichita State.
“Pitt and Pittsburgh are home,” Dixon said in the release. “My family and I feel blessed to be part of such a great institution and wonderful city. It is the people who truly make a place special. I could not be surrounded by better players, staff and administration. These aren’t just people I work for and with every day. They’re friends and I’m very thankful for that.”
Dixon joined Pittsburgh in 1999 as an associate head coach and became head coach beginning in the 2003-04 season after Ben Howland moved to take over the same position at UCLA. In his 10 seasons with the Panthers, he has amassed an overall record of 262-86. Pittsburgh moves to the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Very few programs can match the sustained success that Pitt basketball has achieved during the past decade under Jamie Dixon,” Pederson said. “As we move forward as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, our future has never been brighter or provided more opportunity.”
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)