Mar 23, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
With Friday’s second round win over Villanova, North Carolina head coach Roy Williams advanced his Tar Heels into the third round for a matchup with his former team Kansas, but he also put himself in an elite coaching class. Williams won his 700th game as a Division I men’s college basketball coach, joining the likes of Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim as active head coaches with 700 career victories.
In his 25th season as a head coach, at only Kansas and UNC, Williams has brought seven teams to the Final Four, winning a pair in Chapel Hill in 2005 and 2009. Following the win, Reggie Bullock presented Williams with his own jersey commemorating the milestone.
“You know, I’m human,” Williams told reporters following the historic win. “I wanted to get 700. I’d like to get 800, 900, 1,000, 1,500, but I know that’s not going to happen. But my focus was not on that. It really wasn’t. It was trying to get No. 25 and have this team stay and play another game.
The 700th victory wasn’t easy as North Carolina blew a 20-point lead to hang on to a 78-71 win over the Wildcats. Now, the Tar Heels have to focus on top-seeded Kansas in Sunday’s third round matchup. Williams, who spent 15 seasons in Lawrence, said on Thursday, “When I was a coach at Kansas, it was my favorite school. North Carolina was my second-favorite school. I happen to be coaching at North Carolina now, and it’s my favorite school, and Kansas is my second-favorite school.”
J D Lyon (@TarHeel_Photo) March 23, 2013
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)