Mar 23, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
The Mountain West Conference had drawn criticism over the first few days of this NCAA tournament, with member schools going 1-3 through Thursday. That mark includes a major upset of No. 3 New Mexico at the hands of No. 14 Harvard.
But No. 7 San Diego State worked Friday to change the Mountain West’s fate, staying in the driver’s seat against No. 10 Oklahoma on its way to a commanding 70-55 victory at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pa.
San Diego State junior Jamaal Franklin scored 21 points on 6-of-13 and made all seven of his free throws while adding eight rebounds. While Franklin and James Rahon made an impact on the perimeter, Deshawn Stephens was a force on the interior that this Aztec team often lacks. He finished with seven points and 11 rebounds.
For all of the failings of the Mountain West in the first few rounds of this tournament, San Diego State is poised to be in a very good spot. They move on to play Florida Gulf Coast, a No. 15 seed, for a chance to advance to the Sweet 16. FGCU is no cake walk (you can just ask Georgetown about that) but San Diego State has the ability to get out in transition with Franklin and counter what the Eagles bring to the table when running the floor.
San Diego State and Colorado State are the remaining hopes for a conference that had such high expectations coming into the tournament. But the Aztecs will have to end a potential Cinderella’s run to advance.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)