Mar 23, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
The Mountain West Conference had drawn criticism over the first few days of this NCAA tournament, with member schools going 1-3 through Thursday. That mark includes a major upset of No. 3 New Mexico at the hands of No. 14 Harvard.
But No. 7 San Diego State worked Friday to change the Mountain West’s fate, staying in the driver’s seat against No. 10 Oklahoma on its way to a commanding 70-55 victory at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pa.
San Diego State junior Jamaal Franklin scored 21 points on 6-of-13 and made all seven of his free throws while adding eight rebounds. While Franklin and James Rahon made an impact on the perimeter, Deshawn Stephens was a force on the interior that this Aztec team often lacks. He finished with seven points and 11 rebounds.
For all of the failings of the Mountain West in the first few rounds of this tournament, San Diego State is poised to be in a very good spot. They move on to play Florida Gulf Coast, a No. 15 seed, for a chance to advance to the Sweet 16. FGCU is no cake walk (you can just ask Georgetown about that) but San Diego State has the ability to get out in transition with Franklin and counter what the Eagles bring to the table when running the floor.
San Diego State and Colorado State are the remaining hopes for a conference that had such high expectations coming into the tournament. But the Aztecs will have to end a potential Cinderella’s run to advance.
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 3
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)