Mar 23, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
The Mountain West Conference had drawn criticism over the first few days of this NCAA tournament, with member schools going 1-3 through Thursday. That mark includes a major upset of No. 3 New Mexico at the hands of No. 14 Harvard.
But No. 7 San Diego State worked Friday to change the Mountain West’s fate, staying in the driver’s seat against No. 10 Oklahoma on its way to a commanding 70-55 victory at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pa.
San Diego State junior Jamaal Franklin scored 21 points on 6-of-13 and made all seven of his free throws while adding eight rebounds. While Franklin and James Rahon made an impact on the perimeter, Deshawn Stephens was a force on the interior that this Aztec team often lacks. He finished with seven points and 11 rebounds.
For all of the failings of the Mountain West in the first few rounds of this tournament, San Diego State is poised to be in a very good spot. They move on to play Florida Gulf Coast, a No. 15 seed, for a chance to advance to the Sweet 16. FGCU is no cake walk (you can just ask Georgetown about that) but San Diego State has the ability to get out in transition with Franklin and counter what the Eagles bring to the table when running the floor.
San Diego State and Colorado State are the remaining hopes for a conference that had such high expectations coming into the tournament. But the Aztecs will have to end a potential Cinderella’s run to advance.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)