Mar 23, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Today’s schedule is so awesome that, instead of doing an actual preview, I’m just going to rank the games:
1. 12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS: No team in the country is better when it comes to forcing turnovers than VCU, as they lead the nation in defensive turnover percentage. But Michigan leads the country is protecting the ball, meaning that they have the lowest turnover percentage of anyone. These two styles go up against each other Saturday afternoon as the only game on in the time slot. Michigan has faced a press once this season, when they beat Arkansas by 13 points. How will Trey Burke handle it? How will guys like Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III handle it? If Michigan can beat the press, the Rams are just atrocious defending in the half court.
2. 7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS: You remember what happened the last time these two teams got together, right?:
These are two teams that always seem to play games that have nail-biting finishes. I’ll go ahead and predict a classic.
3. 8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT: The Shockers may actually have a chance to knock off the Zags on Saturday night. Their big guys can actually match up with Gonzaga’s big men, and Malcolm Armstead is the kind of big, physical guard that can give Kevin Pangos all kinds of trouble. What’s inarguable is that Gonzaga will need to play much better than they did on Thursday to avoid an upset.
4. 5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS: Louisville’s guards are going to wreak havoc on the Colorado State back court the way that Louisville’s guards always wreak havoc on back courts. But Colorado State has a big, physical front line that can wear down any opponent. What will win out?
5. 7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS: St. Louis has looked the part of a Final Four team for the past couple of months, winning a dual-Atlantic 10 title. But Oregon? They looked like a legitimate top ten team because Dominic Artis was injured. Well, Artis looked healthy when he scored 13 points in 17 minutes against Oklahoma State, and in his absence Jonathon Loyd has gained all kinds of confidence.
6. 2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS: On paper, Memphis has everything that you need to pull an upset and knock off a team like the Spartans, including the kind of quick, play-making point guard that can give Keith Appling problems. But Josh Pastner has proven to be the antithesis of Tom Izzo as a head coach in big games. Bonus: DJ Stephens vs. Branden Dawson.
7. 6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT: Can Harvard become this year’s Cinderella story? The Crimson pulled off a massive upset in the opening round, picking off No. 3 seed New Mexico, but Arizona has a bigger and more athletic front line, which could cause problems for a smaller Harvard team.
8. 9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS: Syracuse playing what more or less amounts to a road game on the west coast? Why don’t we see this happen in November?
12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS
2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS
5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS
6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT
7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS
7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS
8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT
9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The top half of the Summit League will be a tight race all season long.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The Big East coaches love Villanova, but are they sleeping on Marquette?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
ULM has some off-the-court issues to address with the season looming.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Fun fact about Shaka Smart: He has still never won a conference regular season title.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Stanford’s back court depth took a hit this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Suspensions have been handed down for two James Madison players involved in a fall altercation.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Nebraska has been recruiting the state of Illinois very hard and it paid off with a 2016 commitment.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Kansas State has taken a hit to its front court depth this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida’s backcourt depth received a big boost this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Georgia State loses Kevin Ware with a high ankle sprain.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
American went from ninth in the Patriot League preseason polls to a No. 15 seed in the 2014 NCAA Tournament. Safe to say, the Eagles will be viewed much differently this time around with four returning starters.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Wyoming becomes a contender in the Mountain West Conference with the return of senior forward Larry Nance Jr.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Clemson added a junior college post that could come in and make an immediate impact.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
The Aggies now have one of the best recruiting classes in the country.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
American was the surprise team in the Patriot League a season ago. Can they repeat as league champs?
Oct 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No surprise that Murray State and Belmont are expected to be at the top of the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
L.J. Rose is expected to return around Christmas.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Gators are good enough to win the SEC. They have enough question marks to finish outside the top 25 as well.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
That fan looks like he’s enjoying things.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
These are the players to keep an eye on if you like seeing aerial acrobatics.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)