Mar 23, 2013, 7:00 AM EST
Today’s schedule is so awesome that, instead of doing an actual preview, I’m just going to rank the games:
1. 12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS: No team in the country is better when it comes to forcing turnovers than VCU, as they lead the nation in defensive turnover percentage. But Michigan leads the country is protecting the ball, meaning that they have the lowest turnover percentage of anyone. These two styles go up against each other Saturday afternoon as the only game on in the time slot. Michigan has faced a press once this season, when they beat Arkansas by 13 points. How will Trey Burke handle it? How will guys like Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III handle it? If Michigan can beat the press, the Rams are just atrocious defending in the half court.
2. 7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS: You remember what happened the last time these two teams got together, right?:
These are two teams that always seem to play games that have nail-biting finishes. I’ll go ahead and predict a classic.
3. 8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT: The Shockers may actually have a chance to knock off the Zags on Saturday night. Their big guys can actually match up with Gonzaga’s big men, and Malcolm Armstead is the kind of big, physical guard that can give Kevin Pangos all kinds of trouble. What’s inarguable is that Gonzaga will need to play much better than they did on Thursday to avoid an upset.
4. 5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS: Louisville’s guards are going to wreak havoc on the Colorado State back court the way that Louisville’s guards always wreak havoc on back courts. But Colorado State has a big, physical front line that can wear down any opponent. What will win out?
5. 7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS: St. Louis has looked the part of a Final Four team for the past couple of months, winning a dual-Atlantic 10 title. But Oregon? They looked like a legitimate top ten team because Dominic Artis was injured. Well, Artis looked healthy when he scored 13 points in 17 minutes against Oklahoma State, and in his absence Jonathon Loyd has gained all kinds of confidence.
6. 2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS: On paper, Memphis has everything that you need to pull an upset and knock off a team like the Spartans, including the kind of quick, play-making point guard that can give Keith Appling problems. But Josh Pastner has proven to be the antithesis of Tom Izzo as a head coach in big games. Bonus: DJ Stephens vs. Branden Dawson.
7. 6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT: Can Harvard become this year’s Cinderella story? The Crimson pulled off a massive upset in the opening round, picking off No. 3 seed New Mexico, but Arizona has a bigger and more athletic front line, which could cause problems for a smaller Harvard team.
8. 9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS: Syracuse playing what more or less amounts to a road game on the west coast? Why don’t we see this happen in November?
12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS
2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS
5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS
6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT
7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS
7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS
8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT
9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
The Demon Deacons will likely have only nine scholarship players for Sunday’s game at Richmond.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
On Monday night, Dwayne Polee II collapsed in a game against UC Riverside.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Best rivalry in college basketball headlines a full day of action.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Darrun Hilliard suffered a concussion on Dec. 20 in an overtime win over Syracuse.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Colorado State is off to its best start in school history with a 12-0 start.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
What does VCU have to improve on as it enters Atlantic 10 Conference play as the favorite?
Dec 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Bobby Hurley landed the third player for his incoming class.
Dec 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The leading scorer for the Terrapins has been out since Nov. 28.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
The sophomore forward was involved in an accident on the early hours of Nov. 1.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Jordan Price is averaging 18.8 points per game for the Explorers, and he’s scored 26 or more in each of the last three games.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Previewing one of the year’s biggest matchups.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Marietta (Georgia) Wheeler HS, led by Jaylen Brown, became the first public school to win the event since 2004.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Gonzaga, BYU among the teams off to good starts in the WCC.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Who have been college basketballs breakout stars?
Dec 25, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
Just four games on the schedule Christmas Day, with the Colonials picking up some hardware.
Dec 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The third-ranked Wildcats suffered their first loss of the season Tuesday. Where do they need to improve in the new year?
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Iowa State once again looks like a strong competitor in the Big 12 this season.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The ten teams, players and leagues that have left us wanting more.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
What do the Zags need to change this season?
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
What will the Tar Heels need to improve upon in order to compete for the ACC title?
- Film Session: Louisville-Kentucky will be a Tale of Two (Different) Defenses 1
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 3
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 4
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season (4)
- No. 24 North Carolina handles No. 12 Ohio State (3)
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game (3)