Mar 23, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Today’s schedule is so awesome that, instead of doing an actual preview, I’m just going to rank the games:
1. 12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS: No team in the country is better when it comes to forcing turnovers than VCU, as they lead the nation in defensive turnover percentage. But Michigan leads the country is protecting the ball, meaning that they have the lowest turnover percentage of anyone. These two styles go up against each other Saturday afternoon as the only game on in the time slot. Michigan has faced a press once this season, when they beat Arkansas by 13 points. How will Trey Burke handle it? How will guys like Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III handle it? If Michigan can beat the press, the Rams are just atrocious defending in the half court.
2. 7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS: You remember what happened the last time these two teams got together, right?:
These are two teams that always seem to play games that have nail-biting finishes. I’ll go ahead and predict a classic.
3. 8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT: The Shockers may actually have a chance to knock off the Zags on Saturday night. Their big guys can actually match up with Gonzaga’s big men, and Malcolm Armstead is the kind of big, physical guard that can give Kevin Pangos all kinds of trouble. What’s inarguable is that Gonzaga will need to play much better than they did on Thursday to avoid an upset.
4. 5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS: Louisville’s guards are going to wreak havoc on the Colorado State back court the way that Louisville’s guards always wreak havoc on back courts. But Colorado State has a big, physical front line that can wear down any opponent. What will win out?
5. 7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS: St. Louis has looked the part of a Final Four team for the past couple of months, winning a dual-Atlantic 10 title. But Oregon? They looked like a legitimate top ten team because Dominic Artis was injured. Well, Artis looked healthy when he scored 13 points in 17 minutes against Oklahoma State, and in his absence Jonathon Loyd has gained all kinds of confidence.
6. 2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS: On paper, Memphis has everything that you need to pull an upset and knock off a team like the Spartans, including the kind of quick, play-making point guard that can give Keith Appling problems. But Josh Pastner has proven to be the antithesis of Tom Izzo as a head coach in big games. Bonus: DJ Stephens vs. Branden Dawson.
7. 6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT: Can Harvard become this year’s Cinderella story? The Crimson pulled off a massive upset in the opening round, picking off No. 3 seed New Mexico, but Arizona has a bigger and more athletic front line, which could cause problems for a smaller Harvard team.
8. 9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS: Syracuse playing what more or less amounts to a road game on the west coast? Why don’t we see this happen in November?
12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS
2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS
5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS
6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT
7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS
7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS
8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT
9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
He’s the younger brother of five-star 2017 forward Michael Porter Jr., and Michael Sr. considered joining the Washington staff this spring.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
With Vince Hunter in the professional ranks and Matt Willms dealing with a foot issue, this is an important pickup for the Miners.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Markelle Fultz will take two official visits once he leaves adidas Nations.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Wenyen Gabriel’s tremendous summer only got better with this off-handed throw down on a defender.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Xavier added another piece in the 2016 class with a guard commitment.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:33 PM EDT
N.C. State added a dynamic wing scorer late in their 2015 recruiting efforts on Sunday as reclassified 6-foot-7 wing Maverick Rowan committed to the Wolfpack. A three-level scorer, Rowan was previously committed to Pitt and later backed off of his pledge to the Panthers before deciding to move up a grade by taking two summer…
Aug 2, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Texas A&M finished off a tremendous 2015 recruiting class with one more combo guard.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
After a rough July that included suspensions and a recruit heading to prep school, Arkansas received some good news on the first day of August.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Brandon Childress, son of Wake Forest great Randolph Childress, was the first commit in the class for the Demon Deacons.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
The lawsuit stemmed from the incident in the spring of 2014.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Praised for his ability as both a coach and recruiter, Beckner also helped develop Damian Lillard into a lottery pick.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Childs played well with the Utah Prospects in Las Vegas during the final evaluation period.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Indiana, Kentucky and St. John’s are among the ten, as many expected.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
SMU will be the headliner for this event, with the semifinals scheduled for December 22 and the third place and title games the following night.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Former Texas A&M guard Peyton Allen is now a Shocker.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Iowa is hoping for improvement from a sophomore forward who showed promise this summer.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
This Wisconsin rap battle is starting to spread.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
There will be 39 college counselors playing at adidas Nations this weekend.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:52 AM EDT
Is this an addition for depth, or should Kentucky be concerned about another center?
Aug 1, 2015, 8:44 AM EDT
Kentucky continues to add international pieces to its latest recruiting class.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)