Mar 23, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Today’s schedule is so awesome that, instead of doing an actual preview, I’m just going to rank the games:
1. 12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS: No team in the country is better when it comes to forcing turnovers than VCU, as they lead the nation in defensive turnover percentage. But Michigan leads the country is protecting the ball, meaning that they have the lowest turnover percentage of anyone. These two styles go up against each other Saturday afternoon as the only game on in the time slot. Michigan has faced a press once this season, when they beat Arkansas by 13 points. How will Trey Burke handle it? How will guys like Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III handle it? If Michigan can beat the press, the Rams are just atrocious defending in the half court.
2. 7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS: You remember what happened the last time these two teams got together, right?:
These are two teams that always seem to play games that have nail-biting finishes. I’ll go ahead and predict a classic.
3. 8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT: The Shockers may actually have a chance to knock off the Zags on Saturday night. Their big guys can actually match up with Gonzaga’s big men, and Malcolm Armstead is the kind of big, physical guard that can give Kevin Pangos all kinds of trouble. What’s inarguable is that Gonzaga will need to play much better than they did on Thursday to avoid an upset.
4. 5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS: Louisville’s guards are going to wreak havoc on the Colorado State back court the way that Louisville’s guards always wreak havoc on back courts. But Colorado State has a big, physical front line that can wear down any opponent. What will win out?
5. 7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS: St. Louis has looked the part of a Final Four team for the past couple of months, winning a dual-Atlantic 10 title. But Oregon? They looked like a legitimate top ten team because Dominic Artis was injured. Well, Artis looked healthy when he scored 13 points in 17 minutes against Oklahoma State, and in his absence Jonathon Loyd has gained all kinds of confidence.
6. 2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS: On paper, Memphis has everything that you need to pull an upset and knock off a team like the Spartans, including the kind of quick, play-making point guard that can give Keith Appling problems. But Josh Pastner has proven to be the antithesis of Tom Izzo as a head coach in big games. Bonus: DJ Stephens vs. Branden Dawson.
7. 6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT: Can Harvard become this year’s Cinderella story? The Crimson pulled off a massive upset in the opening round, picking off No. 3 seed New Mexico, but Arizona has a bigger and more athletic front line, which could cause problems for a smaller Harvard team.
8. 9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS: Syracuse playing what more or less amounts to a road game on the west coast? Why don’t we see this happen in November?
12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS
2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS
5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS
6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT
7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS
7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS
8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT
9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Illinois now has three commitments in the Class of 2015, and there’s still a five-star point guard on the board that they’re pursuing.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
This facility is a nice boost for a basketball program that has made one NCAA tournament appearance since 1992.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
The two-day camp will be held October 4-5 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Breanna Stewart is the lone current college player among the finalists, with the team playing one final exhibition before the world championships begin September 27.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
The former Virginia Tech big man will work hard in 2014-15 with an eye towards being a primary option in 2015-16.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
De’Aaron Fox is one to watch in the 2016 class.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Purdue is offering to sell old game films using a company that hopes to do the same with over 600 colleges.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Florida State added a big man in 2015 to go along with its three talented perimeter threats.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Wolfpack have some new threads for the upcoming season.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Creighton picked up a point guard in the 2015 class on Monday.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit
Sep 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
The image places alongside a column on the recent USA Basketball debate caused an uproar in the Bluegrass State.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings’ young team will play away from Nashville three times before the start of SEC play, with two of those games being played on a neutral court.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The St. Anthony product is a valuable recruit for each of the remaining schools, as they all have the eventual loss of current seniors to account for.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Having landed commitments from three forwards, the Flyers added a piece for their backcourt on Monday.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Simeon HS forward officially visited Nebraska this weekend, and both of his parents attended the school as well.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Fans have three different designs from which to choose, with the winning option scheduled to be revealed next Monday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers, who won 25 games last season, landed their first commitment in the Class of 2015 Sunday night.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
With both Pierria Henry and Terrence Williams being seniors, Charlotte needed to add a perimeter player in 2015.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)