Mar 23, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Today’s schedule is so awesome that, instead of doing an actual preview, I’m just going to rank the games:
1. 12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS: No team in the country is better when it comes to forcing turnovers than VCU, as they lead the nation in defensive turnover percentage. But Michigan leads the country is protecting the ball, meaning that they have the lowest turnover percentage of anyone. These two styles go up against each other Saturday afternoon as the only game on in the time slot. Michigan has faced a press once this season, when they beat Arkansas by 13 points. How will Trey Burke handle it? How will guys like Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III handle it? If Michigan can beat the press, the Rams are just atrocious defending in the half court.
2. 7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS: You remember what happened the last time these two teams got together, right?:
These are two teams that always seem to play games that have nail-biting finishes. I’ll go ahead and predict a classic.
3. 8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT: The Shockers may actually have a chance to knock off the Zags on Saturday night. Their big guys can actually match up with Gonzaga’s big men, and Malcolm Armstead is the kind of big, physical guard that can give Kevin Pangos all kinds of trouble. What’s inarguable is that Gonzaga will need to play much better than they did on Thursday to avoid an upset.
4. 5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS: Louisville’s guards are going to wreak havoc on the Colorado State back court the way that Louisville’s guards always wreak havoc on back courts. But Colorado State has a big, physical front line that can wear down any opponent. What will win out?
5. 7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS: St. Louis has looked the part of a Final Four team for the past couple of months, winning a dual-Atlantic 10 title. But Oregon? They looked like a legitimate top ten team because Dominic Artis was injured. Well, Artis looked healthy when he scored 13 points in 17 minutes against Oklahoma State, and in his absence Jonathon Loyd has gained all kinds of confidence.
6. 2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS: On paper, Memphis has everything that you need to pull an upset and knock off a team like the Spartans, including the kind of quick, play-making point guard that can give Keith Appling problems. But Josh Pastner has proven to be the antithesis of Tom Izzo as a head coach in big games. Bonus: DJ Stephens vs. Branden Dawson.
7. 6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT: Can Harvard become this year’s Cinderella story? The Crimson pulled off a massive upset in the opening round, picking off No. 3 seed New Mexico, but Arizona has a bigger and more athletic front line, which could cause problems for a smaller Harvard team.
8. 9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS: Syracuse playing what more or less amounts to a road game on the west coast? Why don’t we see this happen in November?
12:15 PM (5) Virginia Commonwealth vs (4) Michigan CBS
2:45 PM (6) Memphis vs (3) Michigan State CBS
5:15 PM (8) Colorado State vs (1) Louisville CBS
6:10 PM (14) Harvard vs (6) Arizona TNT
7:10 PM (12) Oregon vs (4) Saint Louis TBS
7:45 PM (6) Butler vs (3) Marquette CBS
8:40 PM (9) Wichita State vs (1) Gonzaga TNT
9:40 PM (12) California vs (4) Syracuse TBS
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Matthew Moyer is the newest member of the Syracuse Orange.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
2015 guard Eric Davis had a strong summer and is one of the better guards in the country.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Louisville is updating its floor with the move to the ACC.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Auburn made a recruiting move on Friday night with the addition of Danjel Purifoy.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Missouri has a fair amount of quality teams on its non-conference schedule.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
An Oregon State incoming guard is improving in the hospital after collapsing earlier in the week.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
College Basketball Talk’s recruiting column explores the week’s topics.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Dominic Woodson is now officially a Tennessee Volunteer.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Aaron Brown averaged 9.9 points per game and shot 39 percent from three last season, and he’ll be eligible to play immediately.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Having stated their intention of appealing the ruling in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit, the NCAA filed a notice of appeal on Thursday.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Five-star center Tyler Davis becomes Texas A&M’s first commitment, and he’s an important addition for Billy Kennedy.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Austin Hatch, who saw his first action in a Michigan uniform on Saturday, discussed his return to the court on The Today Show.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Upon completion, Hinkle Fieldhouse will have a brand new look while preserving the building’s storied past.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The conference tournament will now span five days, with there being a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11 (11 seed vs. 14 seed, 12 seed vs. 13 seed).
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)