Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Watch how I do this without making ANY horse puns.
An enterprising NBC Los Angeles reporter tracked down one of Rick Pitino’s thoroughbred horses and had the equine Nostradamus help him pick an NCAA bracket. After the first round, the horse, named Goodcents (no, it wasn’t Russdiculous, who left Pitino’ stables in February) is 21-11 following the first round of games.
Watch the video of the horse’s March Madness method, and then we’ll discuss how his picks played out:
Surprisingly, Goodcents chose a perfect East region by going chalk. It was the West that accounted for most of his mistakes, but his surviving picks out of that region are Gonzaga and Ohio State, so he may still be in good shape there. The horse chose Georgetown to make an Elite Eight out of the South bracket, so in that, he’s much like the rest of us who placed a tad too much faith in JTIII and Otto Porter, Jr.
And what of the Midwest? Goodcents isn’t about to bite the hand that feeds him. It’s Louisville all the way for a title as far as Goodcents can see, and his entire Final Four of the Cards, Kansas, Ohio State and Miami is still alive. No word yet on whether the horse will be provided with a video monitor to watch the Louisville-Colorado State matchup scheduled for 5:15 pm today.
So, all in all, not a bad bracket. Probably better, at this point, than half of the nation can boast.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)