Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Watch how I do this without making ANY horse puns.
An enterprising NBC Los Angeles reporter tracked down one of Rick Pitino’s thoroughbred horses and had the equine Nostradamus help him pick an NCAA bracket. After the first round, the horse, named Goodcents (no, it wasn’t Russdiculous, who left Pitino’ stables in February) is 21-11 following the first round of games.
Watch the video of the horse’s March Madness method, and then we’ll discuss how his picks played out:
Surprisingly, Goodcents chose a perfect East region by going chalk. It was the West that accounted for most of his mistakes, but his surviving picks out of that region are Gonzaga and Ohio State, so he may still be in good shape there. The horse chose Georgetown to make an Elite Eight out of the South bracket, so in that, he’s much like the rest of us who placed a tad too much faith in JTIII and Otto Porter, Jr.
And what of the Midwest? Goodcents isn’t about to bite the hand that feeds him. It’s Louisville all the way for a title as far as Goodcents can see, and his entire Final Four of the Cards, Kansas, Ohio State and Miami is still alive. No word yet on whether the horse will be provided with a video monitor to watch the Louisville-Colorado State matchup scheduled for 5:15 pm today.
So, all in all, not a bad bracket. Probably better, at this point, than half of the nation can boast.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)