Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Watch how I do this without making ANY horse puns.
An enterprising NBC Los Angeles reporter tracked down one of Rick Pitino’s thoroughbred horses and had the equine Nostradamus help him pick an NCAA bracket. After the first round, the horse, named Goodcents (no, it wasn’t Russdiculous, who left Pitino’ stables in February) is 21-11 following the first round of games.
Watch the video of the horse’s March Madness method, and then we’ll discuss how his picks played out:
Surprisingly, Goodcents chose a perfect East region by going chalk. It was the West that accounted for most of his mistakes, but his surviving picks out of that region are Gonzaga and Ohio State, so he may still be in good shape there. The horse chose Georgetown to make an Elite Eight out of the South bracket, so in that, he’s much like the rest of us who placed a tad too much faith in JTIII and Otto Porter, Jr.
And what of the Midwest? Goodcents isn’t about to bite the hand that feeds him. It’s Louisville all the way for a title as far as Goodcents can see, and his entire Final Four of the Cards, Kansas, Ohio State and Miami is still alive. No word yet on whether the horse will be provided with a video monitor to watch the Louisville-Colorado State matchup scheduled for 5:15 pm today.
So, all in all, not a bad bracket. Probably better, at this point, than half of the nation can boast.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)