Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Watch how I do this without making ANY horse puns.
An enterprising NBC Los Angeles reporter tracked down one of Rick Pitino’s thoroughbred horses and had the equine Nostradamus help him pick an NCAA bracket. After the first round, the horse, named Goodcents (no, it wasn’t Russdiculous, who left Pitino’ stables in February) is 21-11 following the first round of games.
Watch the video of the horse’s March Madness method, and then we’ll discuss how his picks played out:
Surprisingly, Goodcents chose a perfect East region by going chalk. It was the West that accounted for most of his mistakes, but his surviving picks out of that region are Gonzaga and Ohio State, so he may still be in good shape there. The horse chose Georgetown to make an Elite Eight out of the South bracket, so in that, he’s much like the rest of us who placed a tad too much faith in JTIII and Otto Porter, Jr.
And what of the Midwest? Goodcents isn’t about to bite the hand that feeds him. It’s Louisville all the way for a title as far as Goodcents can see, and his entire Final Four of the Cards, Kansas, Ohio State and Miami is still alive. No word yet on whether the horse will be provided with a video monitor to watch the Louisville-Colorado State matchup scheduled for 5:15 pm today.
So, all in all, not a bad bracket. Probably better, at this point, than half of the nation can boast.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)