Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Watch how I do this without making ANY horse puns.
An enterprising NBC Los Angeles reporter tracked down one of Rick Pitino’s thoroughbred horses and had the equine Nostradamus help him pick an NCAA bracket. After the first round, the horse, named Goodcents (no, it wasn’t Russdiculous, who left Pitino’ stables in February) is 21-11 following the first round of games.
Watch the video of the horse’s March Madness method, and then we’ll discuss how his picks played out:
Surprisingly, Goodcents chose a perfect East region by going chalk. It was the West that accounted for most of his mistakes, but his surviving picks out of that region are Gonzaga and Ohio State, so he may still be in good shape there. The horse chose Georgetown to make an Elite Eight out of the South bracket, so in that, he’s much like the rest of us who placed a tad too much faith in JTIII and Otto Porter, Jr.
And what of the Midwest? Goodcents isn’t about to bite the hand that feeds him. It’s Louisville all the way for a title as far as Goodcents can see, and his entire Final Four of the Cards, Kansas, Ohio State and Miami is still alive. No word yet on whether the horse will be provided with a video monitor to watch the Louisville-Colorado State matchup scheduled for 5:15 pm today.
So, all in all, not a bad bracket. Probably better, at this point, than half of the nation can boast.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)