Mar 24, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
We’re still not sure how Florida will fare in a close game against a high-major opponent after the Gators’ 78-64 win over Minnesota, but coach Billy Donovan’s team almost manufactured a close game for themselves down the stretch.
After leading by as much as 18 points with 17:18 to play in the second half, Minnesota rallied to eight points with 8:46 left. That’s when Florida’s defense stepped up and Minnesota hit a drought. Gopher guard Andre Hollins picked up his fourth foul and could not score another field goal for almost six minutes.
That allowed Florida to stave off Minnesota and expand the lead before a three-pointer from guard Mike Rosario put a nail in the coffin with 3:18 to play and the lead at 17 points. Rosario finished with 25 points on 8-of-12 shooting.
Florida moves on to play the winner of Florida Gulf Coast and San Diego State, a game that is currently underway. Florida Gulf Coast has looked like the most confident team in this entire NCAA tournament, a team that came in as a No. 15 seed that had lost to Lipscomb twice this season. They have been fittingly dubbed “Dunk City” for their uptempo, athletic style of play. If the Eagles advance, Florida will have to use that signature pressure defense to contain point guard Brett Comer and forward Sherwood Brown.
If San Diego State advances, Jamaal Franklin will be the focus for Florida. His ability to get out in transition and work around the rim makes him one of the most versatile players in the Mountain West.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)