Mar 24, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
The Boston-area home of Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams was destroyed by fire as the sophomore and his team beat California Saturday night in San Jose, Calif., in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament, multiple outlets are reporting.
The home reportedly belongs to Carter-Williams’ mother, Mandy Carter-Zegarowski, who was in San Jose to support her son Saturday at the time of the fire.
According to a Boston television station, the rest of his family was at home watching the game when the fire broke out. It is believed that the cause of the fire was a wood stove outside, but the origin is still under investigation. There were reportedly no injuries.
Carter-Williams scored 12 points and had three assists in the victory. He was notified of the fire after the game by his mother. Sunday morning, he gave a thank you to the public via his Twitter page.
Thanks for the prayers everyone all thats important to me is my family is okay
— Michael Carter-Willi (@MJCWilliams) March 24, 2013
Syracuse now advances to the Sweet 16 to face the winner of Indiana and Temple, two teams that play Sunday.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)