Mar 24, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
Miami’s run in this 2013 NCAA tournament isn’t over yet, but Saturday it added another piece to the team it will sending to the floor next season. Owens Community College forward James Kelly tweeted that he would be transferring to Coral Gables for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Just verbally committed to @CanesHoops i will be a hurricane next season #Canes #LETSGOCANES #Miami #MiamiMadness #CanesNCAA #ACC,” Kelly tweeted.
Kelly will add size to a front line and a team that is losing five seniors, including big men Reggie Johnson and Kenny Kadji. On the season, Kelly averaged 18.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for OCC and is rated as a three-star forward, according to Rivals.com. He joins a recruiting class for the Hurricanes that also includes four other players.
Among those already signed is Miami-area guard Deandre Burnett, as well as New Jersey forward Davon Reed. Coach Jim Larranaga also has verbal commitments from small forward Derrick Griffin and point guard Corn Elder.
Miami returns to the floor Sunday at 8:40 p.m. ET for a Round of 32 game against Illinois.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)