Mar 24, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
Miami’s run in this 2013 NCAA tournament isn’t over yet, but Saturday it added another piece to the team it will sending to the floor next season. Owens Community College forward James Kelly tweeted that he would be transferring to Coral Gables for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Just verbally committed to @CanesHoops i will be a hurricane next season #Canes #LETSGOCANES #Miami #MiamiMadness #CanesNCAA #ACC,” Kelly tweeted.
Kelly will add size to a front line and a team that is losing five seniors, including big men Reggie Johnson and Kenny Kadji. On the season, Kelly averaged 18.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for OCC and is rated as a three-star forward, according to Rivals.com. He joins a recruiting class for the Hurricanes that also includes four other players.
Among those already signed is Miami-area guard Deandre Burnett, as well as New Jersey forward Davon Reed. Coach Jim Larranaga also has verbal commitments from small forward Derrick Griffin and point guard Corn Elder.
Miami returns to the floor Sunday at 8:40 p.m. ET for a Round of 32 game against Illinois.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)