Mar 24, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
Miami’s run in this 2013 NCAA tournament isn’t over yet, but Saturday it added another piece to the team it will sending to the floor next season. Owens Community College forward James Kelly tweeted that he would be transferring to Coral Gables for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Just verbally committed to @CanesHoops i will be a hurricane next season #Canes #LETSGOCANES #Miami #MiamiMadness #CanesNCAA #ACC,” Kelly tweeted.
Kelly will add size to a front line and a team that is losing five seniors, including big men Reggie Johnson and Kenny Kadji. On the season, Kelly averaged 18.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for OCC and is rated as a three-star forward, according to Rivals.com. He joins a recruiting class for the Hurricanes that also includes four other players.
Among those already signed is Miami-area guard Deandre Burnett, as well as New Jersey forward Davon Reed. Coach Jim Larranaga also has verbal commitments from small forward Derrick Griffin and point guard Corn Elder.
Miami returns to the floor Sunday at 8:40 p.m. ET for a Round of 32 game against Illinois.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)