Mar 24, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
Miami’s run in this 2013 NCAA tournament isn’t over yet, but Saturday it added another piece to the team it will sending to the floor next season. Owens Community College forward James Kelly tweeted that he would be transferring to Coral Gables for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Just verbally committed to @CanesHoops i will be a hurricane next season #Canes #LETSGOCANES #Miami #MiamiMadness #CanesNCAA #ACC,” Kelly tweeted.
Kelly will add size to a front line and a team that is losing five seniors, including big men Reggie Johnson and Kenny Kadji. On the season, Kelly averaged 18.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for OCC and is rated as a three-star forward, according to Rivals.com. He joins a recruiting class for the Hurricanes that also includes four other players.
Among those already signed is Miami-area guard Deandre Burnett, as well as New Jersey forward Davon Reed. Coach Jim Larranaga also has verbal commitments from small forward Derrick Griffin and point guard Corn Elder.
Miami returns to the floor Sunday at 8:40 p.m. ET for a Round of 32 game against Illinois.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)