Mar 24, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
George Mason and the Atlantic 10 sent out simultaneous and cryptic releases on Sunday night, with both scheduling a press conference for a “major announcement” by both the conference and the school.
It didn’t take a genius to do the math, and since there have been multiple reports that the announcement will, in fact, be that George Mason is heading to the Atlantic 10 this summer. The Patriots will be added to help offset the loss of Xavier and Butler to the Big East this year and the potential loss of Dayton and St. Louis in 2014.
The move will happen on July 1st and will include all sports. The timing is key; Old Dominion and Georgia State were stuck in limbo this season after the CAA banned them from the conference tournament for leaving the conference.
The news is devastating for the CAA, who has now seen George Mason, VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia State depart the conference. There was a while where the CAA was one of the best mid-major leagues in the country.
It was a nice run while it lasted.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)