Mar 24, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
George Mason and the Atlantic 10 sent out simultaneous and cryptic releases on Sunday night, with both scheduling a press conference for a “major announcement” by both the conference and the school.
It didn’t take a genius to do the math, and since there have been multiple reports that the announcement will, in fact, be that George Mason is heading to the Atlantic 10 this summer. The Patriots will be added to help offset the loss of Xavier and Butler to the Big East this year and the potential loss of Dayton and St. Louis in 2014.
The move will happen on July 1st and will include all sports. The timing is key; Old Dominion and Georgia State were stuck in limbo this season after the CAA banned them from the conference tournament for leaving the conference.
The news is devastating for the CAA, who has now seen George Mason, VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia State depart the conference. There was a while where the CAA was one of the best mid-major leagues in the country.
It was a nice run while it lasted.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)