Mar 24, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
George Mason and the Atlantic 10 sent out simultaneous and cryptic releases on Sunday night, with both scheduling a press conference for a “major announcement” by both the conference and the school.
It didn’t take a genius to do the math, and since there have been multiple reports that the announcement will, in fact, be that George Mason is heading to the Atlantic 10 this summer. The Patriots will be added to help offset the loss of Xavier and Butler to the Big East this year and the potential loss of Dayton and St. Louis in 2014.
The move will happen on July 1st and will include all sports. The timing is key; Old Dominion and Georgia State were stuck in limbo this season after the CAA banned them from the conference tournament for leaving the conference.
The news is devastating for the CAA, who has now seen George Mason, VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia State depart the conference. There was a while where the CAA was one of the best mid-major leagues in the country.
It was a nice run while it lasted.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)