Mar 24, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
George Mason and the Atlantic 10 sent out simultaneous and cryptic releases on Sunday night, with both scheduling a press conference for a “major announcement” by both the conference and the school.
It didn’t take a genius to do the math, and since there have been multiple reports that the announcement will, in fact, be that George Mason is heading to the Atlantic 10 this summer. The Patriots will be added to help offset the loss of Xavier and Butler to the Big East this year and the potential loss of Dayton and St. Louis in 2014.
The move will happen on July 1st and will include all sports. The timing is key; Old Dominion and Georgia State were stuck in limbo this season after the CAA banned them from the conference tournament for leaving the conference.
The news is devastating for the CAA, who has now seen George Mason, VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia State depart the conference. There was a while where the CAA was one of the best mid-major leagues in the country.
It was a nice run while it lasted.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)