Mar 24, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
George Mason and the Atlantic 10 sent out simultaneous and cryptic releases on Sunday night, with both scheduling a press conference for a “major announcement” by both the conference and the school.
It didn’t take a genius to do the math, and since there have been multiple reports that the announcement will, in fact, be that George Mason is heading to the Atlantic 10 this summer. The Patriots will be added to help offset the loss of Xavier and Butler to the Big East this year and the potential loss of Dayton and St. Louis in 2014.
The move will happen on July 1st and will include all sports. The timing is key; Old Dominion and Georgia State were stuck in limbo this season after the CAA banned them from the conference tournament for leaving the conference.
The news is devastating for the CAA, who has now seen George Mason, VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia State depart the conference. There was a while where the CAA was one of the best mid-major leagues in the country.
It was a nice run while it lasted.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (7)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (3)