Mar 25, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
There is more to Creighton’s season-ending loss Sunday at the hands of Duke in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament. It not only ends a season, but ends at least one era and possibly a second simultaneously. The Bluejays will now move on to become members of the New Big East and leave the Missouri Valley Conference behind, but what remains to be seen is whether or not that move will take place with star Doug McDermott in a Creighton uniform.
McDermott had close to a double-double with 21 points and nine rebounds Sunday in what could be his final collegiate game, but shot just 4-of-16 from the floor. The Blue Devils did well to slow him and the rest of the Creighton offense down from the highs it had been experiencing in recent weeks, holding the Bluejays to just 30 percent shooting.
But will McDermott leave for the NBA draft?
Draft Express projects him as the No. 37 overall in June’s draft, meaning he would be part of the second round and not guaranteed an NBA contract. Last season, we saw another mid-major star, Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum, spurn the draft and return to school. He had a strong beginning of the season before injuring his foot, but he is still slated to be selected in the first round of this year’s draft.
McDermott, as you’ll remember, is coached at Creighton by his father, Greg. Could that have any influence on the younger McDermott’s decision? There would be few things more helpful to the Creighton program than to have one of the nation’s best players usher the team into a new conference, especially considering the two key pieces they could lose.
Center Gregory Echenique will have graduated. Grant Gibbs could conceivably apply for a sixth year of eligibility but the chances of that happening are likely slim and altogether unpredictable. There is one thing for certain, though. This Creighton team will be more prepared to take on the New Big East with McDermott in the Bluejays’ starting lineup.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)