Mar 25, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
If you want to break out early, you’ve got to pay the man. That’s apparently the road George Mason is taking to join the Atlantic 10.
The Patriots are paying the Colonial Athletic Association a $1 million exit fee to leave the conference effective July 1, a move that will cost them more than just the $1 million.
As a result, the seven spring sports George Mason fields are ineligible for postseason conference championships. That’s got to be rough for the players, especially since they didn’t know that this was happening until right around a month ago.
The school will also forfeit $1.65 million in conference payouts in addition to the exit fees.
In all, 20 of the 21 sports George Mason fields will join the A-1o, with the wrestling team finding a new home, being that the conference doesn’t sponsor the sport. There are plenty of northeastern-based conferences that support wrestling, so they should have no trouble getting in one of those. All bases covered.
No surprise here. With the pace at which schools are switching conferences, George Mason wants to keep up and the CAA wants to be compensated for their loss — they’ll be down to nine teams when the Patriots leave before next season.
Just another day in conference realignment.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Mar 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
Wisconsin hadn’t won the Big Ten since 2008, although they’ve never finished worse than fourth during Bo Ryan’s tenure in Madison.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Davon Dillard announced his commitment to Cal Sunday afternoon. The Golden Bears hope to reel in the two big men who were also on campus in Ivan Rabb and Caleb Swanigan.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:11 PM EST
Austin Nichols injured his ankle early in the second half of Memphis’ loss
Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
Northeastern’s Devon Begley had to deal with a unique defender, the mop boy, while scoring off of a steal against College of Charleston.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Rodney Purvis just crushed this dunk.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Michigan point guard Spike Albrecht has been battling a hip injury this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EST
Maryland might miss Michal Cekovsky for some time after the freshman big man was injured during warm-ups on Saturday.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
Kaelon Wilson put it on a defender on Saturday.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Kansas State picked up a Class of 2015 guard commitment on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A quiet Sunday features some bubble teams clashing.
Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners
Mar 1, 2015, 2:11 AM EST
No. 1 Kentucky moved to 29-0, and No. 6 Villanova came back to win at Xavier.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:18 AM EST
Will the Zags even stay out west?
Mar 1, 2015, 12:43 AM EST
In a game that saw both teams struggle to find their rhythm, “Zeus” and Gabe York came up big for Arizona.
Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State?
Mar 1, 2015, 12:27 AM EST
All the bubble winners and losers from Saturday’s college hoops action.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:58 PM EST
This came close to being really, really bad.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Dwayne Polee II had to sit out Saturday’s loss to Boise State as a result of an abnormal reading generated by his cardiac monitor.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:42 PM EST
With the loss Texas drops to 1-11 in games against teams in the RPI Top 50.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST
The Cyclones lost at home against Baylor and then lost at Kansas State.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
Kentucky has now won 46 SEC titles, and this group looks poised to add more hardware to the trophy case before the season concludes.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Having just seven scholarship players hasn’t kept the Flyers from playing a major role in the Atlantic 10 race.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)