Mar 25, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
If you want to break out early, you’ve got to pay the man. That’s apparently the road George Mason is taking to join the Atlantic 10.
The Patriots are paying the Colonial Athletic Association a $1 million exit fee to leave the conference effective July 1, a move that will cost them more than just the $1 million.
As a result, the seven spring sports George Mason fields are ineligible for postseason conference championships. That’s got to be rough for the players, especially since they didn’t know that this was happening until right around a month ago.
The school will also forfeit $1.65 million in conference payouts in addition to the exit fees.
In all, 20 of the 21 sports George Mason fields will join the A-1o, with the wrestling team finding a new home, being that the conference doesn’t sponsor the sport. There are plenty of northeastern-based conferences that support wrestling, so they should have no trouble getting in one of those. All bases covered.
No surprise here. With the pace at which schools are switching conferences, George Mason wants to keep up and the CAA wants to be compensated for their loss — they’ll be down to nine teams when the Patriots leave before next season.
Just another day in conference realignment.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
All three programs made Davis a focal point in Las Vegas last weekend.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)