Mar 25, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
If you want to break out early, you’ve got to pay the man. That’s apparently the road George Mason is taking to join the Atlantic 10.
The Patriots are paying the Colonial Athletic Association a $1 million exit fee to leave the conference effective July 1, a move that will cost them more than just the $1 million.
As a result, the seven spring sports George Mason fields are ineligible for postseason conference championships. That’s got to be rough for the players, especially since they didn’t know that this was happening until right around a month ago.
The school will also forfeit $1.65 million in conference payouts in addition to the exit fees.
In all, 20 of the 21 sports George Mason fields will join the A-1o, with the wrestling team finding a new home, being that the conference doesn’t sponsor the sport. There are plenty of northeastern-based conferences that support wrestling, so they should have no trouble getting in one of those. All bases covered.
No surprise here. With the pace at which schools are switching conferences, George Mason wants to keep up and the CAA wants to be compensated for their loss — they’ll be down to nine teams when the Patriots leave before next season.
Just another day in conference realignment.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board
Sep 15, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Brown is a 6-foot-7 powerhouse that has drawn some comparisons to Stanley Johnson.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
It’s the second recruit UCLA has lost this week.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The NCAA is trying to improve their ability to apply common sense to rules interpretations.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
They’ll be out there for six full days. To get tickets to watch a practice.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Avery Harriman continues his third battle with leukemia.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
It was less a shot at Coach K than it was a shot at USA Basketball.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The best players in the D.C. area competed at DMVElite 80 over the weekend.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Of Wyoming’s five 2015 verbal commitments, three have come from Florida natives.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
The Tabor Academy forward picked Fordham over offers from Duquesne, Quinnipiac and Saint Joseph’s.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
With Anthony Drmic and Derrick Marks both being seniors, this is an important addition for the Broncos.
Sep 14, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product is expected pick from Rhode Island, Seton Hall and South Carolina.
Sep 14, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Playing with an all-star team this summer helped the Arkansas transfer shake off the rust accumulated during his season on the sidelines.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)