Mar 25, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Xavier announced the hiring of new athletic director Greg Christopher on Monday afternoon.
Christopher replaces Mike Bobinski, who left to become the new athletic director at Georgia Tech.
“I am honored to be joining Xavier Nation,” said Christopher in a release. “The institution’s values and tradition of excellence in both academics and athletics make this a tremendous opportunity. I am thankful for the Xavier administration, especially (President) Fr. Mike Graham and (Vice President) John Kucia, Mike (Bobinski) and the coaches and staff, who have created a strong foundation. This is a distinctive time in Xavier’s history and I am committed to building on its excellence by leading Xavier Athletics with integrity and passion.”
Xavier is about to enter the (new) Big East Conference after the school announced they’d leave the Atlantic 10 for it last week. Christopher comes to the school from Bowling Green State, where he was also the athletic director.
It’s a solid hire for the Musketeers, who, as previously stated, are headed to a new, basketball-only Big East. Christopher has overseen a BGSU basketball program, among the rest of the athletic department, that made an appearance in the 2009 NIT and the 2012 CIT. Meh, it’s Bowling Green State, so that’s about par for the course.
Bottom line: He’ll be the guy responsible for ushering in the Musketeers to the new Big East. So the hire needed to be solid. Looks like Xavier thinks it is.
(Photo courtesy of Xavier Athletics.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Sep 1, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Bryce Alford is UCLA’s top returning scorer.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine will be in contention for Big Ten Player of the Year this season.
Sep 1, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated as the sixth-best player in 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
Duke gets another five-star recruit.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
UConn landed its second four-star recruit in the Class of 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The GW senior finished with 19 points.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jayce Johnson is focusing on five schools as he’s set four official visits.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Georgetown has some very intriguing games on the non-conference slate.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Arkansas won’t be getting a boost from the four-star big man.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt bolsters its backcourt with the late addition of a junior college guard.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Conference realignment is still happening at the lower levels as Coastal Carolina makes a move to the Sun Belt.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Shamorie Ponds is one of the best bucket-getting guards in the 2016 class.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)