Mar 25, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Jackson State has hired Wayne Brent as its next men’s basketball coach, replacing Tevester Anderson, who announced his retirement last week.
Brent is taking an unusual path to the Tigers program, after spending a majority of the last decade in the high school coaching ranks. He was successful, winning four state titles as head coach at Callaway High School in Jackson. He also coached Renardo Sidney at Provine High School, winning a state title there as well.
Brent is making a return to college coaching. He spent six seasons on staff at Ole Miss under Rod Barnes before entering the high school coaching ranks. He replaces Anderson, who retired after going 149-170 in 10 seasons at Jackson State, with an appearance in both the NIT and NCAA Tournament.
For a team like Jackson State, this is a very solid move. SWAC schools, especially ones like Jackson State, do their best to take advantage of the resources around them to excel. With the Tigers being in one of the more talent-heavy areas in terms of high school basketball in the state (short of, maybe, northwest Mississippi, just outside of Memphis), it makes sense to take the top prep coach in the area and crown him to lead the local college program.
If anything, Brent can pluck some of the hidden gems, transfers and, with the abundance of junior colleges in the state, raid them as well, with his name and his connections doing a majority of the talking. Nine players on the roster are from Mississippi.
(Photo courtesy of Jackson State media relations.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)