Mar 25, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
So we’ve finally found it. We all heard the story yesterday about Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson giving the double-finger salute to the Kansas City crowd following a loss to La Salle in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Now, we have video proof.
After the game, Henderson told reporters that a fan (or multiple fans, it wasn’t clear) called his sister “a whore” and “said something about cocaine”, prompting the redshirt junior to tell the fans sitting above the Ole Miss tunnel exactly what he thought, with his digits.
It’s not like we haven’t come to expect this from Henderson. He’s passionate. He’s volatile. He’s brash. He’s crazy. He’s everything some of us love and hate at the same time about college basketball. He’s definitely the most polarizing player in college hoops.
Personally, I like the guy and everything that he comes him. He’s insane and makes a ton of enemies — and he has some issues with taking losses as well as he takes wins, obviously — but he’s so much more fun to watch. Especially compared to all the half-court-centric teams that enjoys games in the 50s and the players that repeat an unending trail of coach-speak. Basketball needs dudes like Henderson every once in awhile. He’s got demons to work out, like all of us. The difference is, he’s forced to display and work through his own in the public eye.
But these 16 seconds don’t look good on the guy. He’s definitely not ready mentally, emotionally or physically (he’s a 6-2 gunner, which are a dime a dozen in the pro ranks) for any type of professional basketball. And this is an example on why he needs to come back for his fifth year.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)