Mar 25, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
Seth Allen will miss the remainder of the NIT for Maryland after breaking a bone in his shooting hand.
The injury, which is on his left hand, occurred in practice on Sunday.
Allen, a freshman, has averaged 7.8 points per game this season for Mark Turgeon’s program.
“It’s a big blow to us because of the way he’s been playing,” Turgeon told the Baltimore Sun. “The thing where it hurts us is we’ve been playing a small lineup a lot. We can still play a small lineup but maybe not as much. Guys like Padge (James Padgett), Charles (Mitchell) and Shaq (Cleare) will probably get those minutes.”
This has to be tough for a Maryland team that’s seen its fair share of adversity this season. Allen has been a big part of the teams line-up when it goes guard heavy and the Woodbridge, Va. native has also averaged 2.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 22 minutes per game on the year.
The Terrapins play at Alabama in the NIT quarterfinals on Tuesday night.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)