Mar 25, 2013, 9:12 PM EST
Seth Allen will miss the remainder of the NIT for Maryland after breaking a bone in his shooting hand.
The injury, which is on his left hand, occurred in practice on Sunday.
Allen, a freshman, has averaged 7.8 points per game this season for Mark Turgeon’s program.
“It’s a big blow to us because of the way he’s been playing,” Turgeon told the Baltimore Sun. “The thing where it hurts us is we’ve been playing a small lineup a lot. We can still play a small lineup but maybe not as much. Guys like Padge (James Padgett), Charles (Mitchell) and Shaq (Cleare) will probably get those minutes.”
This has to be tough for a Maryland team that’s seen its fair share of adversity this season. Allen has been a big part of the teams line-up when it goes guard heavy and the Woodbridge, Va. native has also averaged 2.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 22 minutes per game on the year.
The Terrapins play at Alabama in the NIT quarterfinals on Tuesday night.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 12
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)