Mar 25, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
Seth Allen will miss the remainder of the NIT for Maryland after breaking a bone in his shooting hand.
The injury, which is on his left hand, occurred in practice on Sunday.
Allen, a freshman, has averaged 7.8 points per game this season for Mark Turgeon’s program.
“It’s a big blow to us because of the way he’s been playing,” Turgeon told the Baltimore Sun. “The thing where it hurts us is we’ve been playing a small lineup a lot. We can still play a small lineup but maybe not as much. Guys like Padge (James Padgett), Charles (Mitchell) and Shaq (Cleare) will probably get those minutes.”
This has to be tough for a Maryland team that’s seen its fair share of adversity this season. Allen has been a big part of the teams line-up when it goes guard heavy and the Woodbridge, Va. native has also averaged 2.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 22 minutes per game on the year.
The Terrapins play at Alabama in the NIT quarterfinals on Tuesday night.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)