Mar 25, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The UConn women picked right up after their blowout first round win over Idaho by dispatching of Vanderbilt 77-44 in the second round of the NCAA Women’s Tournament.
The Huskies never trailed, and pushed their 37-24 halftime lead thanks to a 17-0 run to open the second half. UConn held the Commodores without point for the first 7:16 of the half. Vanderbilt finally ended the drought on a three-pointer by Jasmine Jenkins with 12:44 left in the game.
With the win, UConn reaches the Sweet 16 for the 20th straight season, shooting 54.2-percent in the process, holding the ‘Dores to 37.8-percent shooting.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis led all scorers with 22 points on 9-of-14 shooting, pacing four players who finished in double-figures for UConn. Moriah Jefferson scored 11 off the bench for the Huskies.
Tiffany Clarke led Vanderbilt with 16 points.
Another night at the office for Auriemma and UConn. He’s proven to be one of the best coaches in any sport in college and, while it’s not the Vanderbilt we’re used to seeing, the 17-0 run to begin the second half was impressive.
The Lady Huskies play Maryland in the Sweet 16 on Saturday.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)