Mar 25, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The UConn women picked right up after their blowout first round win over Idaho by dispatching of Vanderbilt 77-44 in the second round of the NCAA Women’s Tournament.
The Huskies never trailed, and pushed their 37-24 halftime lead thanks to a 17-0 run to open the second half. UConn held the Commodores without point for the first 7:16 of the half. Vanderbilt finally ended the drought on a three-pointer by Jasmine Jenkins with 12:44 left in the game.
With the win, UConn reaches the Sweet 16 for the 20th straight season, shooting 54.2-percent in the process, holding the ‘Dores to 37.8-percent shooting.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis led all scorers with 22 points on 9-of-14 shooting, pacing four players who finished in double-figures for UConn. Moriah Jefferson scored 11 off the bench for the Huskies.
Tiffany Clarke led Vanderbilt with 16 points.
Another night at the office for Auriemma and UConn. He’s proven to be one of the best coaches in any sport in college and, while it’s not the Vanderbilt we’re used to seeing, the 17-0 run to begin the second half was impressive.
The Lady Huskies play Maryland in the Sweet 16 on Saturday.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
South Florida brought in an experienced guard who can contribute after sitting out a transfer season.
Jun 28, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Maryland transfer Robert Carter has worked on his conditioning since arriving from Georgia Tech.
Jun 28, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
The USA U19 team is off to a 2-0 start at the FIBA World Championships.
Jun 28, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A top-100 player in the Class of 2016 is down to 10 schools.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Syracuse picked up a transfer big man that should help in the future.
Jun 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Trae Young has been one of the best players of spring.
Jun 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The violations weren’t deemed severe, but the sheer number of them led to the NCAA adding a second year of probation.
Jun 27, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
Tatum was one of three 2016 phenoms to lead the United States in scoring Saturday, with these two points being one of the game’s highlights.
Iowa State’s Georgios Tsalmpouris, Oregon’s Tyler Dorsey help lead Greece in U19 World Championships opener
Jun 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Also of note is the presence of center Georgios Papagiannis, who could play college basketball next season.
Jun 27, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Arizona, Gonzaga and LSU each have multiple players in attendance.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)