Mar 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Norvel Pelle’s collegiate career is over after two commitments and zero games played.
The no. 1 center in the 2011 high school class will enter the 2013 NBA Draft, according to Yahoo! Sports Marc J. Spears. Pelle committed to St. John’s after the 2011 season, but due to a nomadic high school career, he wasn’t cleared to play by the NCAA. He eventually committed to Iona for this season, but never made it on campus and wasn’t listed on the team’s official roster online.
The 6-11 Pelle spent last season at L.A. City Prep before committing to the Gaels. He’s originally from Compton, Calif.
We’ve seen these kinds of cases before. The more Pelle bounced around, the more paperwork he accumulated and eyebrows he raised. Especially those of the NCAA.
He was obviously a legitimate high-major recruit, with interests from San Diego State, Iowa State and others in his recruitment, but it’s hard to qualify when a player plays at as many schools as he has prep eligibilty for.
He’s a wiry body at around 210 pounds, but obviously he has the height. A team might take a shot on him if they really want to take on a project.
But this had to be a second option. Pelle and Iona coach Tim Cluess both would’ve been well served to have him for next season, had he been eligible. Hard to imagine, judging by the move, that he ever would’ve been, though.
CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)