Mar 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Norvel Pelle’s collegiate career is over after two commitments and zero games played.
The no. 1 center in the 2011 high school class will enter the 2013 NBA Draft, according to Yahoo! Sports Marc J. Spears. Pelle committed to St. John’s after the 2011 season, but due to a nomadic high school career, he wasn’t cleared to play by the NCAA. He eventually committed to Iona for this season, but never made it on campus and wasn’t listed on the team’s official roster online.
The 6-11 Pelle spent last season at L.A. City Prep before committing to the Gaels. He’s originally from Compton, Calif.
We’ve seen these kinds of cases before. The more Pelle bounced around, the more paperwork he accumulated and eyebrows he raised. Especially those of the NCAA.
He was obviously a legitimate high-major recruit, with interests from San Diego State, Iowa State and others in his recruitment, but it’s hard to qualify when a player plays at as many schools as he has prep eligibilty for.
He’s a wiry body at around 210 pounds, but obviously he has the height. A team might take a shot on him if they really want to take on a project.
But this had to be a second option. Pelle and Iona coach Tim Cluess both would’ve been well served to have him for next season, had he been eligible. Hard to imagine, judging by the move, that he ever would’ve been, though.
CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)