Mar 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Norvel Pelle’s collegiate career is over after two commitments and zero games played.
The no. 1 center in the 2011 high school class will enter the 2013 NBA Draft, according to Yahoo! Sports Marc J. Spears. Pelle committed to St. John’s after the 2011 season, but due to a nomadic high school career, he wasn’t cleared to play by the NCAA. He eventually committed to Iona for this season, but never made it on campus and wasn’t listed on the team’s official roster online.
The 6-11 Pelle spent last season at L.A. City Prep before committing to the Gaels. He’s originally from Compton, Calif.
We’ve seen these kinds of cases before. The more Pelle bounced around, the more paperwork he accumulated and eyebrows he raised. Especially those of the NCAA.
He was obviously a legitimate high-major recruit, with interests from San Diego State, Iowa State and others in his recruitment, but it’s hard to qualify when a player plays at as many schools as he has prep eligibilty for.
He’s a wiry body at around 210 pounds, but obviously he has the height. A team might take a shot on him if they really want to take on a project.
But this had to be a second option. Pelle and Iona coach Tim Cluess both would’ve been well served to have him for next season, had he been eligible. Hard to imagine, judging by the move, that he ever would’ve been, though.
CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)