Mar 25, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Tubby Smith has been officially fired by Minnesota.
The university announced that Smith, who has been at the school since the 2007-08 season, has been relieved of his duties as head coach.
Smith issued a statement in the release on the school’s website.
“I want to thank the University of Minnesota and the people of Minnesota for giving me the opportunity to lead the Golden Gopher basketball program for six years,” said Smith. “Our staff did things the right way and will leave knowing that the program is in far better shape than when we arrived. The people of the State of Minnesota embraced Donna and me from the beginning and we will always be grateful.”
Smith had a record of 124-81 overall at Minnesota, but he was just 26-42 in Big Ten play and had his program become synonymous with February collapses. He made three NCAA tournaments and won his first tournament game this season, but lost 78-64 to No. 3 seed Florida on Sunday.
Smith came to Minnesota from Kentucky in 2007, where he won the 1998 national title. But a lack of on-court success and victories on the recruiting trail eventually did him in.
“Tubby has had a long and distinguished career and we feel it’s time for a fresh set of eyes for our student-athletes and our program in general,” Athletic Director Norwood Teague said in a statement. “We are grateful to Tubby and his entire staff for their hard work and dedication to this University, our students and the entire Minnesota community. We wish Tubby, Donna and the entire staff well.”
A previous report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, first broke the news that Smith had been fired after six years as head coach.
Three notes to think about as Minnesota begins their search for a head coach at the same time that UCLA and USC will be looking:
- Norwood Teague, Minnesota’s AD, and Mike Ellis, Minnesota’s assistant AD, arrived at Minnesota from VCU. At VCU, they hired Shaka Smart. I doubt that Shaka would turn down UCLA, where he appears to be the favorite, for Minnesota, when he already shot down Illinois, but I’m sure the Teague and Ellis will make a run at him.
- Ellis runs Villa 7, which is a networking project that connects elite assistant coaches with athletic directors around the country. It’s how guys like Smart, Josh Pastner, Buzz Williams and Dave Rice, among 90 or so others, got their head coaching gigs. He’s connected.
- Minnesota might actually a better job than people realize. The state produces quite a bit of hoops talent, and it’s the only Division I program in the state. There are facilities and money and a fanbase. The only problem? There may also be a limit to how good the program can be. With the likes of Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin in the Big Ten, the Gophers will never be among the elite in their own conference, let alone in the country. Tubby Smith won 20 games in five of the six years he was a head coach and made three NCAA tournaments. Before he was hired, the Gophers had been to the tournament once since 1999 and won 20 games once since 1998.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
Richard Pitino had five recruits scheduled to join the program.
Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The College of Charleston is looking to replace Doug Wojcik, who was fired on Aug. 5.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
This is the first commit in the Beavers’ Class of 2015.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-10 big man was dismissed from Missouri on April 10.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Some of the best high school players in the country appeared in Elite 24 this weekend in Brooklyn.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Dayton adds depth to its point guard position for the 2014-2015 season.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The younger brother of Enes Kanter will join the favorite to win the Horizon League.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Porter Moser’s team should still take a step forward in the Missouri Valley.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Pastner continues to recruit the state of Tennessee well.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Some teams are unlucky in losses. It’s not bad luck when you blow games you should have won, though.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Our top ten is different, but not by that much.
Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
According to a report, there are six sites vying for four Final Fours between 2017 and 2020.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Value Add is college basketball’s equivalent to WARP.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
UTEP took a blow to its 2014-15 season as two freshmen failed to make the roster.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Xavier went 4-0 on a preseason trip to Brazil and got a lot of playing time for its inexperienced team.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
UConn gave a scholarship to a former walk-on.
Aug 25, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Former Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson will get a shot to play professionally in Europe.
Aug 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Cool video of a Vanderbilt walk-on earning a scholarship.
Aug 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Georgetown great Patrick Ewing and agent David Falk are donating $3.3 million to Georgetown for a practice facility.
Aug 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
This week’s CBT Recruiting Roundup features some thoughts on Bruce Pearl’s fast start at Auburn and a couple players cutting school lists.
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind (4)
- Creighton’s logos draw ire of Major League Baseball franchise (4)