Mar 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
What a weekend. The first weekend is finally in the books, and it’s pretty clear that the craziness we saw during the regular season carried over into March Madness. We were introduced to Dunk City, Florida (Coined by yours truely. Yes I was the first to use it, no I did not receive any credit for it), and saw Gonzaga make a shocking exit in the third round.
Naturally, we’ve got a lot to get to.
So let’s hit the links.
Observations & Insight:
- Aaron Craft hit the biggest shot of the 2013 NCAA tournament, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to defeat Iowa State. Here’s how it happened. (USA Today)
- Ben Howland is out at UCLA. The Bruins need more than what Howland could give them, and that’s OK. (Los Angeles Times)
- Is this the last time we see Jim Boeheim in the NCAA tournament? Will Rhoden of the New York Times certainly thinks so. (New York Times)
- Gonzaga fans had a tough pill to swallow on Saturday night, as the Bulldogs’ dream season came to an abrupt stop against Wichita State. (Slipper Still Fits)
- The best and worst from the NCAA Tournament’s first weekend. (The Dagger)
- More best and worst from the tournament’s first weekend. (Washington Post)
Odds & Ends:
- A transcript of Buzz Williams’ entertaining press conference following Marquette’s third round victory over Butler. (Washington Post)
- Twitter reacts to the controversial ending to Iowa State/Ohio State. (The Dagger)
- A profile on the Colorado State Rams’ superfan Justin Stank. He’s the guy in the funny rams suit. (New York Times)
.GIFs & Videos:
- Florida Gulf Coast is famous. And this is why. #DunkCity. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Oh yeah, they did this too. (SB Nation)
- The best .GIFs from the first weekend. (College Hoops Journal)
- Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall cut loose following his team’s third round victory over Gonzaga. (The Dagger
- Iowa State freshman Georges Niang tried to rattle Aaron Craft with an “inadvertent” shoulder to the chest. (The Big Lead)
Sad UNC bro starts to cry during Tar Heel’s loss to Kansas. (Kentucky Sports Radio)
- Minnesota coach Tubby Smith has been on the hot seat for a long long time. The Golden Gophers defeated UCLA in the second round before falling to Florida in the third round. Was one tournament victory enough to save his job? (College Basketball Talk)
- A fired destroyed the house of Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams on Saturday night. Thankfully none of Carter-Williams’ family members were injured. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
- UNLV freshman phenom Anthony Bennett is headed to the NBA. He’s a lottery pick for sure, probably top-5 too. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Oregon State big-man Eric Moreland is declaring for the NBA Draft. (Sporting News)
- Memphis is looking to extend the contract of head coach Josh Pastner. (Memphis Commercial Appeal)
- Arizona beat the teeth out of Harvard on Saturday. Seriously, Siyana Chambers lost a tooth. (Arizona Daily Star)
- UCLA may have or may have not fired Ben Howland. He’s probably fired, but nobody’s exactly sure. (College Basketball Talk)
- According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg has emerged as a potential candidate for a heading coach position in the NBA. (Yahoo Sports)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Jul 25, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida commit KeVaughn Allen had a great week at Peach Jam.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Former Delaware guard Jarvis Threatt is turning pro after being dismissed from the program in June.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Didn’t believe Niang when he stated that he’d reshaped his body? Here’s visual evidence that he did.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
New York City guard Rawle Alkins is one player to monitor in the Class of 2016.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
If allowed to do so, how would a draft of the Class of 2015′s best players go? Here’s our attempt.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The Texas native isn’t happy some Texas schools pulled their scholarship offers.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best big men were on the same court Thursday, with Zimmerman’s Oakland Soldiers getting the win.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Hipsher worked with Watson from 2009-11, when he was associate head coach at Alabama and Watson a grad assistant.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Despite the fact that Vujovic made it through the NCAA Eligibility Center, Monmouth has decided to not admit him.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
Eric McKnight’s waiver to play immediately was denied by the SEC.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Groce is under .500 in Big Ten play in his two seasons at Illinois.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Florida State will play five non-conference games against teams that reached the NCAA tournament last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The four latest five-star recruits that Cal landed all showed off their Kentucky threads on instagram.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Mostella has travelled a long road to get to Knoxville.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Austin has found a landing place, but it’s still a long way from the Division I ranks.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Three true road games and a visit from the reigning champs?
Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Thon Maker is a top five recruit in 2016 and would be a top two or three recruit in 2015.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Hoiberg had surgery to replace his pacemaker last week.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The events will be played in November and December
Jul 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Mykhailiuk is playing in the B Division of the event.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)