Mar 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
What a weekend. The first weekend is finally in the books, and it’s pretty clear that the craziness we saw during the regular season carried over into March Madness. We were introduced to Dunk City, Florida (Coined by yours truely. Yes I was the first to use it, no I did not receive any credit for it), and saw Gonzaga make a shocking exit in the third round.
Naturally, we’ve got a lot to get to.
So let’s hit the links.
Observations & Insight:
- Aaron Craft hit the biggest shot of the 2013 NCAA tournament, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to defeat Iowa State. Here’s how it happened. (USA Today)
- Ben Howland is out at UCLA. The Bruins need more than what Howland could give them, and that’s OK. (Los Angeles Times)
- Is this the last time we see Jim Boeheim in the NCAA tournament? Will Rhoden of the New York Times certainly thinks so. (New York Times)
- Gonzaga fans had a tough pill to swallow on Saturday night, as the Bulldogs’ dream season came to an abrupt stop against Wichita State. (Slipper Still Fits)
- The best and worst from the NCAA Tournament’s first weekend. (The Dagger)
- More best and worst from the tournament’s first weekend. (Washington Post)
Odds & Ends:
- A transcript of Buzz Williams’ entertaining press conference following Marquette’s third round victory over Butler. (Washington Post)
- Twitter reacts to the controversial ending to Iowa State/Ohio State. (The Dagger)
- A profile on the Colorado State Rams’ superfan Justin Stank. He’s the guy in the funny rams suit. (New York Times)
.GIFs & Videos:
- Florida Gulf Coast is famous. And this is why. #DunkCity. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Oh yeah, they did this too. (SB Nation)
- The best .GIFs from the first weekend. (College Hoops Journal)
- Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall cut loose following his team’s third round victory over Gonzaga. (The Dagger
- Iowa State freshman Georges Niang tried to rattle Aaron Craft with an “inadvertent” shoulder to the chest. (The Big Lead)
Sad UNC bro starts to cry during Tar Heel’s loss to Kansas. (Kentucky Sports Radio)
- Minnesota coach Tubby Smith has been on the hot seat for a long long time. The Golden Gophers defeated UCLA in the second round before falling to Florida in the third round. Was one tournament victory enough to save his job? (College Basketball Talk)
- A fired destroyed the house of Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams on Saturday night. Thankfully none of Carter-Williams’ family members were injured. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
- UNLV freshman phenom Anthony Bennett is headed to the NBA. He’s a lottery pick for sure, probably top-5 too. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Oregon State big-man Eric Moreland is declaring for the NBA Draft. (Sporting News)
- Memphis is looking to extend the contract of head coach Josh Pastner. (Memphis Commercial Appeal)
- Arizona beat the teeth out of Harvard on Saturday. Seriously, Siyana Chambers lost a tooth. (Arizona Daily Star)
- UCLA may have or may have not fired Ben Howland. He’s probably fired, but nobody’s exactly sure. (College Basketball Talk)
- According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg has emerged as a potential candidate for a heading coach position in the NBA. (Yahoo Sports)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)