Mar 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
What a weekend. The first weekend is finally in the books, and it’s pretty clear that the craziness we saw during the regular season carried over into March Madness. We were introduced to Dunk City, Florida (Coined by yours truely. Yes I was the first to use it, no I did not receive any credit for it), and saw Gonzaga make a shocking exit in the third round.
Naturally, we’ve got a lot to get to.
So let’s hit the links.
Observations & Insight:
– Aaron Craft hit the biggest shot of the 2013 NCAA tournament, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to defeat Iowa State. Here’s how it happened. (USA Today)
- Ben Howland is out at UCLA. The Bruins need more than what Howland could give them, and that’s OK. (Los Angeles Times)
- Is this the last time we see Jim Boeheim in the NCAA tournament? Will Rhoden of the New York Times certainly thinks so. (New York Times)
- Gonzaga fans had a tough pill to swallow on Saturday night, as the Bulldogs’ dream season came to an abrupt stop against Wichita State. (Slipper Still Fits)
- The best and worst from the NCAA Tournament’s first weekend. (The Dagger)
- More best and worst from the tournament’s first weekend. (Washington Post)
Odds & Ends:
– A transcript of Buzz Williams’ entertaining press conference following Marquette’s third round victory over Butler. (Washington Post)
- Twitter reacts to the controversial ending to Iowa State/Ohio State. (The Dagger)
- A profile on the Colorado State Rams’ superfan Justin Stank. He’s the guy in the funny rams suit. (New York Times)
.GIFs & Videos:
– Florida Gulf Coast is famous. And this is why. #DunkCity. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Oh yeah, they did this too. (SB Nation)
- The best .GIFs from the first weekend. (College Hoops Journal)
- Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall cut loose following his team’s third round victory over Gonzaga. (The Dagger
- Iowa State freshman Georges Niang tried to rattle Aaron Craft with an “inadvertent” shoulder to the chest. (The Big Lead)
Sad UNC bro starts to cry during Tar Heel’s loss to Kansas. (Kentucky Sports Radio)
- Minnesota coach Tubby Smith has been on the hot seat for a long long time. The Golden Gophers defeated UCLA in the second round before falling to Florida in the third round. Was one tournament victory enough to save his job? (College Basketball Talk)
- A fired destroyed the house of Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams on Saturday night. Thankfully none of Carter-Williams’ family members were injured. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
- UNLV freshman phenom Anthony Bennett is headed to the NBA. He’s a lottery pick for sure, probably top-5 too. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Oregon State big-man Eric Moreland is declaring for the NBA Draft. (Sporting News)
- Memphis is looking to extend the contract of head coach Josh Pastner. (Memphis Commercial Appeal)
- Arizona beat the teeth out of Harvard on Saturday. Seriously, Siyana Chambers lost a tooth. (Arizona Daily Star)
- UCLA may have or may have not fired Ben Howland. He’s probably fired, but nobody’s exactly sure. (College Basketball Talk)
- According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg has emerged as a potential candidate for a heading coach position in the NBA. (Yahoo Sports)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Oct 26, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
Indiana’s nine newcomers received their candy-striped warmup pants from former IU players Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Pat Birt was a Horizon League All-Freshman Team selection at UIC last season.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Keifer Sykes is one of the best dunkers in America, and he was at it again Saturday afternoon.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The intro video to Tom Izzo’s memorable entrance at “Michigan State Madness” Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
While head coach Gib Arnold released a statement saying that the school had yet to receive a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the administration is considering the option of self-imposing sanctions.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Byron Samuels already had a tough rebuilding job in front of him as a result of Florida A&M being hit with a postseason ban for low APR numbers.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)