Mar 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
What a weekend. The first weekend is finally in the books, and it’s pretty clear that the craziness we saw during the regular season carried over into March Madness. We were introduced to Dunk City, Florida (Coined by yours truely. Yes I was the first to use it, no I did not receive any credit for it), and saw Gonzaga make a shocking exit in the third round.
Naturally, we’ve got a lot to get to.
So let’s hit the links.
Observations & Insight:
– Aaron Craft hit the biggest shot of the 2013 NCAA tournament, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to defeat Iowa State. Here’s how it happened. (USA Today)
– Ben Howland is out at UCLA. The Bruins need more than what Howland could give them, and that’s OK. (Los Angeles Times)
– Is this the last time we see Jim Boeheim in the NCAA tournament? Will Rhoden of the New York Times certainly thinks so. (New York Times)
– Gonzaga fans had a tough pill to swallow on Saturday night, as the Bulldogs’ dream season came to an abrupt stop against Wichita State. (Slipper Still Fits)
– The best and worst from the NCAA Tournament’s first weekend. (The Dagger)
– More best and worst from the tournament’s first weekend. (Washington Post)
Odds & Ends:
– A transcript of Buzz Williams’ entertaining press conference following Marquette’s third round victory over Butler. (Washington Post)
– Twitter reacts to the controversial ending to Iowa State/Ohio State. (The Dagger)
– A profile on the Colorado State Rams’ superfan Justin Stank. He’s the guy in the funny rams suit. (New York Times)
.GIFs & Videos:
– Florida Gulf Coast is famous. And this is why. #DunkCity. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Oh yeah, they did this too. (SB Nation)
– The best .GIFs from the first weekend. (College Hoops Journal)
– Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall cut loose following his team’s third round victory over Gonzaga. (The Dagger
– Iowa State freshman Georges Niang tried to rattle Aaron Craft with an “inadvertent” shoulder to the chest. (The Big Lead)
Sad UNC bro starts to cry during Tar Heel’s loss to Kansas. (Kentucky Sports Radio)
– Minnesota coach Tubby Smith has been on the hot seat for a long long time. The Golden Gophers defeated UCLA in the second round before falling to Florida in the third round. Was one tournament victory enough to save his job? (College Basketball Talk)
– A fired destroyed the house of Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams on Saturday night. Thankfully none of Carter-Williams’ family members were injured. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
– UNLV freshman phenom Anthony Bennett is headed to the NBA. He’s a lottery pick for sure, probably top-5 too. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Oregon State big-man Eric Moreland is declaring for the NBA Draft. (Sporting News)
– Memphis is looking to extend the contract of head coach Josh Pastner. (Memphis Commercial Appeal)
– Arizona beat the teeth out of Harvard on Saturday. Seriously, Siyana Chambers lost a tooth. (Arizona Daily Star)
– UCLA may have or may have not fired Ben Howland. He’s probably fired, but nobody’s exactly sure. (College Basketball Talk)
– According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg has emerged as a potential candidate for a heading coach position in the NBA. (Yahoo Sports)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Apr 17, 2015, 10:23 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo won named MVP for both the McDonald’s All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Hoiberg just completed his fifth season at Iowa State.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
The Aztecs now have no commits for 2016.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
Domantas Sabonis previously announced he would return.
Apr 17, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Jordan Brand Classic is Friday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The former Villanova guard cut his list to eight.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
Thanks to this ruling Neal will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
Heron, who committed to Pitt back in January 2014, says he will continue to consider Jamie Dixon’s program.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Dazon Ingram joins Brandon Austin and Donta Hall, both of whom remained committed following the firing of Anthony Grant, in Alabama’s 2015 class.
Former Florida guard discusses Billy Donovan’s potential as an NBA head coach on ‘Dan Patrick Show’ (VIDEO)
Apr 17, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Beal spoke highly of his college coach, including how a possible adjustment would go should Donovan decide to try his hand at the NBA game.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
Harris is the fifth departure from the Kansas State program since the end of the season.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Hooley’s game-winning shot in the America East title game came less than two months after his mother passed from a lengthy bout with colon cancer.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
Hale is Alabama’s leading returning scorer, as he averaged 8.2 points per game last season.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:51 PM EDT
Landing Zimmerman is a big deal for Dave Rice, who could use the boost after a disappointing 2014-15.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:56 PM EDT
Michigan won’t lack for big men when Davis arrives on campus in 2016, but that will give him time to develop as a freshman.
Apr 16, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Costello dealt with the knee issue down the stretch, but the procedure isn’t expected to keep him out of offseason workouts for too long.
Apr 16, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
The Mountain West is guaranteed one of the eight slots in the field.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
With the NBA coaching carousel getting started, which college coaches will be linked to the jobs?
Apr 16, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
This will forever put a smile on my face.
Apr 16, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Duke-bound Luke Kennard discusses the Blue Devils’ one-and-dones and filling the point guard role.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)