Mar 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Perhaps the most impressive thing about Florida Gulf Coast’s run to the Sweet 16 is that it has not only completely overshadowed the fact that a No. 13 seed that played in the First Four has made it to the Sweet 16, it makes it seem downright normal that that No. 13 seed — La Salle, if you haven’t figured it out by now — will be played No. 9 seed Wichita State for the right to go to the Elite 8.
Think about that.
La Salle is the fifth No. 13 seed to make it this far in the NCAA tournament, and they have a real shot of advancing farther.
And no one is talking about them, even though they may just be the most entertaining team left in the field.
The Explorers play four guards. They spread the floor and they allow guys like Ramon Galloway (a South Carolina transfer), Tyrone Garland (a Virginia Tech transfer), and Tyreek Duren (a top 100 recruit coming out of high school) to use their natural ability to create. The result? A lot of high-scoring, end-to-end action, plenty of threes flying and a team with high-major talent keeping their tournament dreams alive.
It’s a fun show to watch, and it will be on full display on Thursday night.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)