Mar 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Perhaps the most impressive thing about Florida Gulf Coast’s run to the Sweet 16 is that it has not only completely overshadowed the fact that a No. 13 seed that played in the First Four has made it to the Sweet 16, it makes it seem downright normal that that No. 13 seed — La Salle, if you haven’t figured it out by now — will be played No. 9 seed Wichita State for the right to go to the Elite 8.
Think about that.
La Salle is the fifth No. 13 seed to make it this far in the NCAA tournament, and they have a real shot of advancing farther.
And no one is talking about them, even though they may just be the most entertaining team left in the field.
The Explorers play four guards. They spread the floor and they allow guys like Ramon Galloway (a South Carolina transfer), Tyrone Garland (a Virginia Tech transfer), and Tyreek Duren (a top 100 recruit coming out of high school) to use their natural ability to create. The result? A lot of high-scoring, end-to-end action, plenty of threes flying and a team with high-major talent keeping their tournament dreams alive.
It’s a fun show to watch, and it will be on full display on Thursday night.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)