Mar 26, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
We’ve really come to expect this from Baylor phenom Britney Griner. But every time we see it, it still should impress you.
The senior all-everything center for the Bears finished with 33 points and 22 rebounds — and was pulled with 6:06 left to play — and Baylor advanced to another Sweet 16 with a 85-47 victory over no.8-seed Florida State in Waco.
The win pushes Baylor, the top overall seed in the Women’s NCAA Tournament, into a match-up with no. 4 seed Louisville for a spot in the Elite Eight.
Griner, as has been the case for the last few years, dominated from beginning to end, with the 6-8 senior also adding four blocks and four assists on 15-of-22 shooting on the night.
Brooklyn Pope (12), Odyssey Sims (11) and Kimetria Hayden (10) also finished in double figures for the Bears.
Leonor Rodriguez scored 11 points in the loss for the Seminoles, who were held to just 26.1-percent shooting (18-for-69) overall and 27.3-percent (3-for-11) from three-point range. Baylor was 37-of-65 (56.9 percent) in the win.
Along with Griner’s dominance, the most impressive stat over the first two games of the tournament for Baylor has been their defense. They held Prairie View A&M to 25.8 percent shooting in the first round and it’s an overlooked statistic of the Bears. For the season, they’ve held opponents to 32.6 percent shooting.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)