Mar 26, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
We’ve really come to expect this from Baylor phenom Britney Griner. But every time we see it, it still should impress you.
The senior all-everything center for the Bears finished with 33 points and 22 rebounds — and was pulled with 6:06 left to play — and Baylor advanced to another Sweet 16 with a 85-47 victory over no.8-seed Florida State in Waco.
The win pushes Baylor, the top overall seed in the Women’s NCAA Tournament, into a match-up with no. 4 seed Louisville for a spot in the Elite Eight.
Griner, as has been the case for the last few years, dominated from beginning to end, with the 6-8 senior also adding four blocks and four assists on 15-of-22 shooting on the night.
Brooklyn Pope (12), Odyssey Sims (11) and Kimetria Hayden (10) also finished in double figures for the Bears.
Leonor Rodriguez scored 11 points in the loss for the Seminoles, who were held to just 26.1-percent shooting (18-for-69) overall and 27.3-percent (3-for-11) from three-point range. Baylor was 37-of-65 (56.9 percent) in the win.
Along with Griner’s dominance, the most impressive stat over the first two games of the tournament for Baylor has been their defense. They held Prairie View A&M to 25.8 percent shooting in the first round and it’s an overlooked statistic of the Bears. For the season, they’ve held opponents to 32.6 percent shooting.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)