Mar 26, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
We’ve really come to expect this from Baylor phenom Britney Griner. But every time we see it, it still should impress you.
The senior all-everything center for the Bears finished with 33 points and 22 rebounds — and was pulled with 6:06 left to play — and Baylor advanced to another Sweet 16 with a 85-47 victory over no.8-seed Florida State in Waco.
The win pushes Baylor, the top overall seed in the Women’s NCAA Tournament, into a match-up with no. 4 seed Louisville for a spot in the Elite Eight.
Griner, as has been the case for the last few years, dominated from beginning to end, with the 6-8 senior also adding four blocks and four assists on 15-of-22 shooting on the night.
Brooklyn Pope (12), Odyssey Sims (11) and Kimetria Hayden (10) also finished in double figures for the Bears.
Leonor Rodriguez scored 11 points in the loss for the Seminoles, who were held to just 26.1-percent shooting (18-for-69) overall and 27.3-percent (3-for-11) from three-point range. Baylor was 37-of-65 (56.9 percent) in the win.
Along with Griner’s dominance, the most impressive stat over the first two games of the tournament for Baylor has been their defense. They held Prairie View A&M to 25.8 percent shooting in the first round and it’s an overlooked statistic of the Bears. For the season, they’ve held opponents to 32.6 percent shooting.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)