Mar 26, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Close to two weeks after firing head coach Bill Carmody, Northwestern has “zeroed in” on Duke associate head coach Chris Collins and could hire him within 36 hours, David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com is reporting.
According to the report, Northwestern has conducted a handful of interviews and Collins has emerged as the favorite of athletic director Jim Phillips.
If Collins were to be hired, he would reportedly remain on the Duke bench through the end of the Blue Devils’ run in the NCAA tournament, then join Northwestern. Duke beat Creighton on Sunday in the Round of 32 to advance to the Sweet 16.
Kaplan highlights a comparison between Northwestern’s two premier athletic programs and how it helped to draw Collins to the front of the pack of prospective hires:
He is very much in the mold of Northwestern’s football coach Pat Fitzgerald — who is approximately the same age as Collins — and he is considered a similar personality to Fitzgerald, who is beloved on the Northwestern campus.
Northwestern finished the 2012-13 season with an overall record of 13-19, including 4-14 in the Big Ten. Since Carmody’s firing, Top 100 guard and Northwestern commit Jaren Sina has reopened his recruitment and is considering schools that include Seton Hall and Alabama. It is yet to be seen whether one of the biggest recruits in recent memory for the Wildcats will ever set foot on the floor in Evanston in a Northwestern jersey.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)