Mar 26, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Arkansas forward Marshawn Powell is headed to the NBA Draft, if his tweet is any indication.
The redshirt junior has chosen to forgo his senior season and enter the June draft. Powell averaged 15.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and shot 48.7-percent from the floor this season for the Razorbacks. He played in the two games in 2011-12 before a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the year.
decided that im entering the 2013#NBAdraft thank God for even being in this position—
hungr tht cnt b fed (@MarshawnPowell) March 26, 2013
A Newport News, Va. native, the 6-7, 240-pounder is a bit of an undersized big man, which he came to Arkansas as, but has developed an offensive game that has become consistent from 15-feet and in, and has expanded his perimeter game. He set a career high going 27-for-78 from three-point range this season. In two full seasons prior, Powell shot a combined 15-for-65 from deep.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
After a monster freshman season in which Powell averaged 14.9 points and 6.7 rebounds, he decided to come back to campus, and endured a sophomore campaign in which he was hampered by a foot injury that brought his production down to 10.8 and 4.5 per game. He finally got healthy prior to this season and it definitely showed, as Powell looked like the prospect that everyone saw as a freshman.
He’s developed nicely. But where does he go in the draft? Does he go at all? He’s not listed on DraftExpress.com latest projections. He’d be a good fit for a team like Utah, that has thrived with a number of undersized big men. He’s averaged over a block per game in two of his three full seasons in Fayetteville.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)