Mar 26, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
Looks like Tony Snell is joining the host of others trying their luck in the NBA Draft.
The Albuquerque ESPN affiliate 101.7 The Team is reporting that the New Mexico guard is going to enter his name into the NBA Draft. He reportedly will not hire an agent.
The 6-7, 200-pound junior averaged 12.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 31.2 minutes per game for the Lobos this season, who were upset by Harvard in the second (first) round of the NCAA Tournament.
His three-point shooting has improved every year, culminating with his 39-percent clip this season. He’s also a great free throw shooter at 84.3 percent (86-for-102 this season).
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
This would be a blow to Steve Alford’s team if Snell does stay in the draft. The Lobos were slated to have all five starters back in the fold for next year and should be even better as a result. And with San Diego State definitely losing guys like James Rahon and Chase Tapley and possibly losing Jamaal Franklin, paired with UNLV losing Anthony Bennett, they could be in position to dominate the Mountain West.
It wouldn’t kill any chances if Snell goes, it would just further them if he stays. New Mexico will be fine as long as no one else leaves, should Snell stay in the draft.
As far as Snell’s stock, he’s tall and athletic and can play well in big games (he scored 21 in the MWC title game against UNLV), most of the time. However, you wonder how bad that nine-point performance in the Lobos’ first-round exit will resonate with him. But this seems like a 50/50 chance for Snell on whether he stays or goes.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)