Mar 26, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
The Hurley coaching tree is branching out. Looks like Rhode Island assistant and college basketball legend Bobby Hurley is headed to take over the program at Buffalo.
The news was first reported by CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Hurley replaces Reggie Witherspoon, who was 198-228 in his 14 years at the school.
This will be Hurley’s first college head coaching job after spending the last three seasons as an assistant at Wagner, then Rhode Island for his brother, Dan. The brothers are the sons of the legendary high school coach Bob Hurley, Sr.
Name aside, this is a good hire for Buffalo, who finished 14-20 overall, 7-9 in the Mid-American Conference and lost to Kent State in the MAC tournament this season. While he hasn’t been the face of the programs he’s been at, many have been praising Hurley’s ability to teach while under his brother. His name still resonates with a lot of high school coaches — and some players, I’d assume — from his days as Duke’s point guard, winning two national titles, garnering all-America honors and leaving the Blue Devils as the NCAA Division I all-time leader in assists.
It’s also a low-risk job for Hurley. The Bulls have had a decent amount of success recently, but have been mid-pack in the MAC at best. A lot of the buzz around the program is attributed to the talents of Mitchell Watt and Javon McCrea. If Hurley can convince McCrea to stick around for his senior season — he averaged 18 points and 7.9 rebounds this season — he might have the roster (only two seniors on this year’s team) to immediately contend in the MAC.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 30, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Tyndall’s one NCAA tournament win sure was memorable.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
The cousin of former Pitt forward Chevon Troutman has developed into a quality recruit himself.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Nigel Hayes has game. He doesn’t have bars.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
According to the report SMU met with the NCAA Committee on Infractions last month.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Harding won’t join the program until 2018 however, as he’ll be taking his two-year LDS mission beforehand.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Director of player personnel Travis Diener is pegged as the best player in the games, with he and assistant Chris Carrawell trading some good-natured shots at each other.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Only Aqeel Quinn, who’s out of eligibility, made more three-pointers for the Aztecs last season than Shrigley.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
All three programs made Davis a focal point in Las Vegas last weekend.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)