Mar 26, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Pacific will name Ron Verlin, a 19-year assistant at the school, the program’s next head coach.
Verlin will replace Bob Thomason, who retired after 25 seasons as the head coach of the Tigers. He is a native of the area, graduating from Sacramento State in 1990 and spending time as an assistant coach at Nevada and at Columbia (Calif.) College in Sonora prior to moving on to Stockton.
The program will enter the West Coast Conference next season after spending the past 42 years in the Big West Conference.
According to the article, Verlin was already handling a majority of the recruiting this season, getting commitments from four prospects, two out of high school and two from junior colleges.
At a program like Pacific, it’s best to have a person familiar with the program, and it’s tough to beat an assistant who has been there for almost two decades. Verlin has been a part of four of Pacific’s Big West tournament titles and six of their regular season championships.
The Tigers finished 22-13 overall and 13-5 in conference play, winning the Big West tournament and falling to Miami in the second (first?) round of the NCAA Tournament.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)