Mar 26, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Pacific will name Ron Verlin, a 19-year assistant at the school, the program’s next head coach.
Verlin will replace Bob Thomason, who retired after 25 seasons as the head coach of the Tigers. He is a native of the area, graduating from Sacramento State in 1990 and spending time as an assistant coach at Nevada and at Columbia (Calif.) College in Sonora prior to moving on to Stockton.
The program will enter the West Coast Conference next season after spending the past 42 years in the Big West Conference.
According to the article, Verlin was already handling a majority of the recruiting this season, getting commitments from four prospects, two out of high school and two from junior colleges.
At a program like Pacific, it’s best to have a person familiar with the program, and it’s tough to beat an assistant who has been there for almost two decades. Verlin has been a part of four of Pacific’s Big West tournament titles and six of their regular season championships.
The Tigers finished 22-13 overall and 13-5 in conference play, winning the Big West tournament and falling to Miami in the second (first?) round of the NCAA Tournament.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)