Mar 26, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Pacific will name Ron Verlin, a 19-year assistant at the school, the program’s next head coach.
Verlin will replace Bob Thomason, who retired after 25 seasons as the head coach of the Tigers. He is a native of the area, graduating from Sacramento State in 1990 and spending time as an assistant coach at Nevada and at Columbia (Calif.) College in Sonora prior to moving on to Stockton.
The program will enter the West Coast Conference next season after spending the past 42 years in the Big West Conference.
According to the article, Verlin was already handling a majority of the recruiting this season, getting commitments from four prospects, two out of high school and two from junior colleges.
At a program like Pacific, it’s best to have a person familiar with the program, and it’s tough to beat an assistant who has been there for almost two decades. Verlin has been a part of four of Pacific’s Big West tournament titles and six of their regular season championships.
The Tigers finished 22-13 overall and 13-5 in conference play, winning the Big West tournament and falling to Miami in the second (first?) round of the NCAA Tournament.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)