Mar 26, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
It appears that Memphis coach Josh Pastner will not fill either of the job vacancies at USC or UCLA, as the 35-year-old coach has reportedly agreed in principle a contract extension with the Tigers.
Pastner led Memphis to a 31-5 season and undefeated mark in the C-USA. The Tigers beat Saint Mary’s in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament, but lost to Michigan State, 70-48, in the next round.
“I love Memphis,” Pastner told CBSSports.com. “I love my president, Dr. Shirley Raines. I love my athletic director, Tom Bowen. I love Tiger Nation. And I love my team. My focus has always been on Memphis.”
USC has now lost out on two candidates that were once considered targets to fill the spot that was vacated by Kevin O’Neill midway through the season and that has since been filled on an interim basis by assistant Bob Cantu. Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon was considered a candidate but recently signed a contract extension that will keep him at Pittsburgh through the 2022-23 season.
Pastner staying put means Memphis will reap the benefits of the high-level recruiting class that he has put together for the Tigers first season in the soon-to-be-renamed Big East in 2013-14. The class consists of five players, four of whom are among the Top 100 in the nation. The most high-profile among them is 6-8 power forward Austin Nichols, a Tennessee native who is in the nation’s Top 25.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)