Mar 26, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
It appears that Memphis coach Josh Pastner will not fill either of the job vacancies at USC or UCLA, as the 35-year-old coach has reportedly agreed in principle a contract extension with the Tigers.
Pastner led Memphis to a 31-5 season and undefeated mark in the C-USA. The Tigers beat Saint Mary’s in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament, but lost to Michigan State, 70-48, in the next round.
“I love Memphis,” Pastner told CBSSports.com. “I love my president, Dr. Shirley Raines. I love my athletic director, Tom Bowen. I love Tiger Nation. And I love my team. My focus has always been on Memphis.”
USC has now lost out on two candidates that were once considered targets to fill the spot that was vacated by Kevin O’Neill midway through the season and that has since been filled on an interim basis by assistant Bob Cantu. Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon was considered a candidate but recently signed a contract extension that will keep him at Pittsburgh through the 2022-23 season.
Pastner staying put means Memphis will reap the benefits of the high-level recruiting class that he has put together for the Tigers first season in the soon-to-be-renamed Big East in 2013-14. The class consists of five players, four of whom are among the Top 100 in the nation. The most high-profile among them is 6-8 power forward Austin Nichols, a Tennessee native who is in the nation’s Top 25.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1