Mar 26, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
By now, everyone’s seen La Salle’s last-second win over Ole Miss in the NCAA Tournament second round, thanks to Tyrone Garland’s shot in the lane with just seconds remaining.
Afterward, Garland gave Craig Sager the name of the shot, introducing the world to the “Southwest Philly Floater”.
Well, CSNPhilly.com went back to find out where the roots of the shot were planted. It turns out it goes back to the playground courts of southwest Philadelphia, where Garland is from.
And his cousin, Bernard Tyler, was the one who showed him the way of the floater, including how to get the shot up over taller defenders.
“Just get it over the big man and leave it in God’s hands,” Tyler told CSNPhilly.com by phone Monday afternoon with a laugh. “Being a guard, playing in Southwest Philly, I always told him he would need that in his game. Just having fun with him, I said, ‘that’s the Southwest Philly Floater.’
It worked, getting it over 6-9 Reginald Buckner of the Rebels with three seconds left and propelling the Explorers into the Sweet 16 with a 76-74 win on Sunday.
Garland’s path through college basketball started when he went to Virginia Tech after finishing in the Top 10 in Philadelphia Public League history with 2,198 points. He eventually transferred to La Salle after averaging less than five points per game in a season-and-a-half with the Hokies. He’s flourished back in Philadelphia, averaging 13 points per game after becoming eligible at the end of the first semester.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)