Mar 27, 2013, 11:49 PM EST
The NIT Final Four is set.
Behind 23 points and 13 assists from senior guard Pierre Jackson, Baylor beat Providence, 79-68, to advance to the semifinals of the NIT and round out the tournament’s Final Four that will advance to New York City.
Baylor was efficient with the basketball Wednesday, turning the ball over just five times and shooting 52 percent from the floor. One of the biggest beneficiaries of Jackson’s big night as a facilitator was Cory Jefferson, who had 26 points on 10-of-14 shooting. He added two blocks.
The Bears move on to New York City along with BYU, Maryland, and Iowa, teams that all won their NIT quarterfinal games and have earned the right to advance. Baylor will play BYU, while Iowa and Maryland will play in the other semifinal.
Other than No. 1-seeded Kentucky losing in the first round of the NIT to Robert Morris, all other No. 1 seeds lost in this quarterfinal round. Southern Miss lost to BYU, Alabama lost to Maryland, and Virginia lost to Iowa. No seed lower than No. 4 Providence made it to the quarterfinal round.
Both semifinal games take place April 2, less than one week before the NCAA tournament championship game.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)