Mar 27, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
The NIT Final Four is set.
Behind 23 points and 13 assists from senior guard Pierre Jackson, Baylor beat Providence, 79-68, to advance to the semifinals of the NIT and round out the tournament’s Final Four that will advance to New York City.
Baylor was efficient with the basketball Wednesday, turning the ball over just five times and shooting 52 percent from the floor. One of the biggest beneficiaries of Jackson’s big night as a facilitator was Cory Jefferson, who had 26 points on 10-of-14 shooting. He added two blocks.
The Bears move on to New York City along with BYU, Maryland, and Iowa, teams that all won their NIT quarterfinal games and have earned the right to advance. Baylor will play BYU, while Iowa and Maryland will play in the other semifinal.
Other than No. 1-seeded Kentucky losing in the first round of the NIT to Robert Morris, all other No. 1 seeds lost in this quarterfinal round. Southern Miss lost to BYU, Alabama lost to Maryland, and Virginia lost to Iowa. No seed lower than No. 4 Providence made it to the quarterfinal round.
Both semifinal games take place April 2, less than one week before the NCAA tournament championship game.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)