Mar 27, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Memphis dominated Conference USA this season and was the conference’s only team to make the NCAA tournament. The conference’s second-best team, Southern Miss, has been making a solid run in the NIT. That run came to an end Wednesday night, though, as the Golden Eagles fell to BYU.
BYU brought an 11-point lead into the halftime break and coasted the rest of the way, winning 79-62 at Reed Green Coliseum in Hattiesburg, Miss. The Cougars shared the basketball and tallied 24 assists on 29 made field goals, led by Matt Carlino with 15 points and nine assists.
The scoring was concentrated in the hands of Carlino, Brock Zylstra, who had 23 points, and Tyler Haws, who had 25. Brandon Davies was one of two Cougars to register a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
The Cougars missed out on the NCAA tournament of the West Coast Conference, though Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s made the Field of 68. Gonzaga was a No. 1 seed and lost to Wichita State in the Round of 32. Saint Mary’s won its First Four game, but lost to Memphis in the Round of 64.
BYU now moves on to play the winner of Providence-Baylor. That game is currently underway.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)