Mar 27, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
La Salle center Steve Zack has been cleared to play for the Explorers in their Sweet 16 matchup with Wichita State on Thursday, almost four weeks after spraining his left foot in a win over Duquesne on March 2.
“If he can make a play here and there, can make a difference, it could help us,” La Salle coach John Giannini said, as reported by Philly.com.
According to the report, how much Zack plays is contingent on how he feels Thursday prior to the team’s tip off at approximately 10:20 p.m. ET.
Zack’s presence in the middle would be important for a La Salle team that is undersized on the whole and relies heavily on four key guards to play major minutes. Having Zack in the lineup alongside forward Jerrell Wright gives the Explorers a chance to match up better with the size that Wichita State will feature on the interior.
Zack stands at 6-10, which will be important in containing Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early, two of the driving forces behind the Shockers’ offensive and defensive attack. Hall and Early combined for 26 points and five blocks in Wichita State’s Round of 32 win over No. 1-seeded Gonzaga.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)