Mar 27, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
La Salle center Steve Zack has been cleared to play for the Explorers in their Sweet 16 matchup with Wichita State on Thursday, almost four weeks after spraining his left foot in a win over Duquesne on March 2.
“If he can make a play here and there, can make a difference, it could help us,” La Salle coach John Giannini said, as reported by Philly.com.
According to the report, how much Zack plays is contingent on how he feels Thursday prior to the team’s tip off at approximately 10:20 p.m. ET.
Zack’s presence in the middle would be important for a La Salle team that is undersized on the whole and relies heavily on four key guards to play major minutes. Having Zack in the lineup alongside forward Jerrell Wright gives the Explorers a chance to match up better with the size that Wichita State will feature on the interior.
Zack stands at 6-10, which will be important in containing Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early, two of the driving forces behind the Shockers’ offensive and defensive attack. Hall and Early combined for 26 points and five blocks in Wichita State’s Round of 32 win over No. 1-seeded Gonzaga.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)