Mar 27, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
La Salle center Steve Zack has been cleared to play for the Explorers in their Sweet 16 matchup with Wichita State on Thursday, almost four weeks after spraining his left foot in a win over Duquesne on March 2.
“If he can make a play here and there, can make a difference, it could help us,” La Salle coach John Giannini said, as reported by Philly.com.
According to the report, how much Zack plays is contingent on how he feels Thursday prior to the team’s tip off at approximately 10:20 p.m. ET.
Zack’s presence in the middle would be important for a La Salle team that is undersized on the whole and relies heavily on four key guards to play major minutes. Having Zack in the lineup alongside forward Jerrell Wright gives the Explorers a chance to match up better with the size that Wichita State will feature on the interior.
Zack stands at 6-10, which will be important in containing Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early, two of the driving forces behind the Shockers’ offensive and defensive attack. Hall and Early combined for 26 points and five blocks in Wichita State’s Round of 32 win over No. 1-seeded Gonzaga.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)