Mar 27, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Alex Len had 15 points and 13 boards, but it was his defense that made the difference for Maryland on Tuesday night.
The seven-foot Ukranian finished with five blocks, none bigger than the one he had on a Rodney Cooper layup attempt with three seconds left. Len swatted Cooper’s shot into the third row, and after Trevor Lacey’s jumper at the buzzer bounced off the rim, Maryland escaped Tuscaloosa with a 58-57 win in the quarterfinals of the NIT.
The Terps are headed to the Garden, where they will take on the winner of Wednesday night’s matchup between Iowa and Virginia.
“We’ve been talking about trying to get a great road win, and to get a postseason win against a team that I thought should have been in the NCAA tournament was just a great win,” Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said. “Our defense was just spectacular all night.
“We just held on. I don’t like just holding on, but this time of year any win is a great win.”
What’s more impressive is that the Terps were able to get this win despite playing without freshman Seth Allen, who broke his hand.
Dez Wells and Jake Layman both finished with 13 points for the Terps.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)