Mar 27, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
Alex Len had 15 points and 13 boards, but it was his defense that made the difference for Maryland on Tuesday night.
The seven-foot Ukranian finished with five blocks, none bigger than the one he had on a Rodney Cooper layup attempt with three seconds left. Len swatted Cooper’s shot into the third row, and after Trevor Lacey’s jumper at the buzzer bounced off the rim, Maryland escaped Tuscaloosa with a 58-57 win in the quarterfinals of the NIT.
The Terps are headed to the Garden, where they will take on the winner of Wednesday night’s matchup between Iowa and Virginia.
“We’ve been talking about trying to get a great road win, and to get a postseason win against a team that I thought should have been in the NCAA tournament was just a great win,” Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said. “Our defense was just spectacular all night.
“We just held on. I don’t like just holding on, but this time of year any win is a great win.”
What’s more impressive is that the Terps were able to get this win despite playing without freshman Seth Allen, who broke his hand.
Dez Wells and Jake Layman both finished with 13 points for the Terps.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)