Mar 27, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Oklahoma junior forward Amath M’Baye will declare for the NBA draft, the school announced.
“My time at OU has been great,” M’Baye, a native of Bordeaux, France, said in a statement. “I’m 23 years old. My goal when I came to the United States was to take care of business in the classroom and by the time I was 23 to have a degree in my pocket. Now that I’m graduating in May, it’s time for me to start taking care of my family the way they’ve taken care of me for so long.
“It’s a tough process of saying goodbye to everybody because I love everyone here. The coaches did an amazing job with me and with this team in general. Everyone was great here and I had an amazing time. I want to be able to come back down the road and help the program however I can, because it’s given me a lot.”
M’Baye is in a unique situation. He’s graduating, he’s 23 years old and he’s got a family he needs to take care of. He’s an intriguingly athletic, 6-foot-9 forward with some touch on his jump shot. He’s got some potential, but he’s not going to get any younger. Draft Express ranked M’Baye as their 36th best prospect in the junior class. There’s a chance that he could end up being drafted, but even if he isn’t, M’Baye should make a good living in Europe.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)