Mar 27, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
Much can be said about Florida Gulf Coast, the No. 15 seed that has shocked the college basketball world by beating Georgetown and San Diego State to advance to the Sweet 16.
One could talk about its coach, Andy Enfield, a former investor with a supermodel wife who has high-major abuzz as a possibility to fill a coaching vacancy. One could talk about Brett Comer, the point guard who has battled through the loss of his father to be the orchestrator of this entire offensive operation. Or one could talk about Sherwood Brown, the conference player of the year who shook hands with broadcasters at the end of FGCU’s wins.
But the one overriding theme that we’ve seen in both of the Eagles’ victories is that this is undoubtedly the most fun and free team in this NCAA tournament. As Joe Posnanski writes, this team never appears inhibited by coaching or ground to a halt by a desire to slow the game down and limit the innate creativity of these two performances.
Much credit goes to Enfield, who wouldn’t be coaching a team that is famed to be located in “Dunk City, Florida” if he had over-coached and micromanaged every aspect of his team’s run so far.
Posnanski likens the approach many other teams take to a boss watching over your shoulder while you work, ” second guessing every move, pointing out different possibilities, grumbling when you do something wrong.” That’s not Enfield’s approach, but that doesn’t mean it’s not for every team.
Some teams flourish under that type of system. But Florida Gulf Coast doesn’t need that from Enfield, and it’s darn fun to watch because of it.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)