Mar 27, 2013, 7:52 PM EST
Much can be said about Florida Gulf Coast, the No. 15 seed that has shocked the college basketball world by beating Georgetown and San Diego State to advance to the Sweet 16.
One could talk about its coach, Andy Enfield, a former investor with a supermodel wife who has high-major abuzz as a possibility to fill a coaching vacancy. One could talk about Brett Comer, the point guard who has battled through the loss of his father to be the orchestrator of this entire offensive operation. Or one could talk about Sherwood Brown, the conference player of the year who shook hands with broadcasters at the end of FGCU’s wins.
But the one overriding theme that we’ve seen in both of the Eagles’ victories is that this is undoubtedly the most fun and free team in this NCAA tournament. As Joe Posnanski writes, this team never appears inhibited by coaching or ground to a halt by a desire to slow the game down and limit the innate creativity of these two performances.
Much credit goes to Enfield, who wouldn’t be coaching a team that is famed to be located in “Dunk City, Florida” if he had over-coached and micromanaged every aspect of his team’s run so far.
Posnanski likens the approach many other teams take to a boss watching over your shoulder while you work, ” second guessing every move, pointing out different possibilities, grumbling when you do something wrong.” That’s not Enfield’s approach, but that doesn’t mean it’s not for every team.
Some teams flourish under that type of system. But Florida Gulf Coast doesn’t need that from Enfield, and it’s darn fun to watch because of it.
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)