Mar 27, 2013, 11:37 PM EST
Things are starting to look bleak for Texas head coach Rick Barnes.
Coming off of a season where the Longhorns couldn’t get over .500, Barnes got the news tonight that Shelden McClellan will be transferring out of the program.
McClellan averaged 13.8 points for Texas this season, but there were some bouts of inconsistency and, clearly, some issues with the coaching staff. He played just one minute in road games against Iowa State and Texas Tech and seven minutes against Oklahoma State.
“He’s just ready to try something new,” McClellan’s mother told ESPN.com. “He can go somewhere and sit out a year and work hard and develop. A fresh start will do him some good.”
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Texas program from here. Jaylen Bond has already requested a transfer. Myck Kabongo is likely headed off to the NBA. There still are some solid pieces on that roster, and Barnes is still going to be able to recruit at a high level, but it looks like it might be another long season in Austin. It’s never a good sign for a team that went 16-18 to lose their two leading scorers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)