Mar 27, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
Things are starting to look bleak for Texas head coach Rick Barnes.
Coming off of a season where the Longhorns couldn’t get over .500, Barnes got the news tonight that Shelden McClellan will be transferring out of the program.
McClellan averaged 13.8 points for Texas this season, but there were some bouts of inconsistency and, clearly, some issues with the coaching staff. He played just one minute in road games against Iowa State and Texas Tech and seven minutes against Oklahoma State.
“He’s just ready to try something new,” McClellan’s mother told ESPN.com. “He can go somewhere and sit out a year and work hard and develop. A fresh start will do him some good.”
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Texas program from here. Jaylen Bond has already requested a transfer. Myck Kabongo is likely headed off to the NBA. There still are some solid pieces on that roster, and Barnes is still going to be able to recruit at a high level, but it looks like it might be another long season in Austin. It’s never a good sign for a team that went 16-18 to lose their two leading scorers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)