Mar 27, 2013, 11:37 PM EST
Things are starting to look bleak for Texas head coach Rick Barnes.
Coming off of a season where the Longhorns couldn’t get over .500, Barnes got the news tonight that Shelden McClellan will be transferring out of the program.
McClellan averaged 13.8 points for Texas this season, but there were some bouts of inconsistency and, clearly, some issues with the coaching staff. He played just one minute in road games against Iowa State and Texas Tech and seven minutes against Oklahoma State.
“He’s just ready to try something new,” McClellan’s mother told ESPN.com. “He can go somewhere and sit out a year and work hard and develop. A fresh start will do him some good.”
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Texas program from here. Jaylen Bond has already requested a transfer. Myck Kabongo is likely headed off to the NBA. There still are some solid pieces on that roster, and Barnes is still going to be able to recruit at a high level, but it looks like it might be another long season in Austin. It’s never a good sign for a team that went 16-18 to lose their two leading scorers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 1
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)