Mar 27, 2013, 11:37 PM EST
Things are starting to look bleak for Texas head coach Rick Barnes.
Coming off of a season where the Longhorns couldn’t get over .500, Barnes got the news tonight that Shelden McClellan will be transferring out of the program.
McClellan averaged 13.8 points for Texas this season, but there were some bouts of inconsistency and, clearly, some issues with the coaching staff. He played just one minute in road games against Iowa State and Texas Tech and seven minutes against Oklahoma State.
“He’s just ready to try something new,” McClellan’s mother told ESPN.com. “He can go somewhere and sit out a year and work hard and develop. A fresh start will do him some good.”
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Texas program from here. Jaylen Bond has already requested a transfer. Myck Kabongo is likely headed off to the NBA. There still are some solid pieces on that roster, and Barnes is still going to be able to recruit at a high level, but it looks like it might be another long season in Austin. It’s never a good sign for a team that went 16-18 to lose their two leading scorers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)