Mar 27, 2013, 8:09 PM EST
Shaka Smart’s services are off the market.
The 35-year-old Virginia Commonwealth head coach will remain with the Rams after signing a contract extension that will keep him in Richmond through the year 2023, Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated is reporting.
According to the report, Smart will get a $300,000 raise and now make $1.5 million in guaranteed money. He also worked to negotiate raises and perks for his staff and players, as well as travel improvements for the program. This is his second raise since leading the Rams to the Final Four in 2011.
Smart’s name has been at the center of speculation for a number of possible high-major coaching vacancies, including at UCLA, USC, and Minnesota. He is no stranger to being talked about as a candidate would could make the leap to another school, having been considered a candidate for jobs at Illinois and North Carolina State in the past.
Since that 2011 run from the First Four to the Final Four, Smart has led the Rams to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances. VCU finished 27-9 this season, including 12-4 in the program’s first year in the Atlantic 10.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)