Mar 27, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
Shaka Smart’s services are off the market.
The 35-year-old Virginia Commonwealth head coach will remain with the Rams after signing a contract extension that will keep him in Richmond through the year 2023, Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated is reporting.
According to the report, Smart will get a $300,000 raise and now make $1.5 million in guaranteed money. He also worked to negotiate raises and perks for his staff and players, as well as travel improvements for the program. This is his second raise since leading the Rams to the Final Four in 2011.
Smart’s name has been at the center of speculation for a number of possible high-major coaching vacancies, including at UCLA, USC, and Minnesota. He is no stranger to being talked about as a candidate would could make the leap to another school, having been considered a candidate for jobs at Illinois and North Carolina State in the past.
Since that 2011 run from the First Four to the Final Four, Smart has led the Rams to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances. VCU finished 27-9 this season, including 12-4 in the program’s first year in the Atlantic 10.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)