Mar 27, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
BYU coach Dave Rose was set to bring in a recruiting class of five players for the 2013-14, headlined by sharpshooting guard Nick Emery. But Emery’s career will be put on hold, the Associated Press is reporting, as he prepares to begin a two-year Mormon mission to Germany.
Emery is a 6-2, 180-pound guard who is considered a Top 50 player in the country and has drawn comparisons to former BYU star Jimmer Fredette, if only because of their shared school and affinity for long-range shots. He and 6-9, 220-pound high school teammate Eric Mika, another Top 50 recruit, were to make a strong inside-outside combination for Rose’s squad.
Mika has chosen to attend BYU for one season before leaving for his two-year mission.
(CLICK HERE to read NBCSports.com’s story on Emery)
Emery’s decision comes not long after the Church of Latter Day Saints lowered the minimum mission age for males from 19 to 18. As opposed to what other Mormon college athletes have done in the past, he does not have to play or redshirt one year in college before going on the mission, then return to finish his eligibility in college.
”Two years is a long time to mature and really figure out who I am,” Emery told the Associated Press. ”This is a big bonus. You can go straight out and get those two years done and then you have four straight years in college.”
Once he suits up for the Cougars, BYU will have a lefty gunner who can take over a game with his perimeter shooting. He will need to continue to develop his other point guard skills, but his ability to score should never be a question at the college level.
(CLICK HERE to watch AAU highlights of Emery)
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)