Mar 27, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
BYU coach Dave Rose was set to bring in a recruiting class of five players for the 2013-14, headlined by sharpshooting guard Nick Emery. But Emery’s career will be put on hold, the Associated Press is reporting, as he prepares to begin a two-year Mormon mission to Germany.
Emery is a 6-2, 180-pound guard who is considered a Top 50 player in the country and has drawn comparisons to former BYU star Jimmer Fredette, if only because of their shared school and affinity for long-range shots. He and 6-9, 220-pound high school teammate Eric Mika, another Top 50 recruit, were to make a strong inside-outside combination for Rose’s squad.
Mika has chosen to attend BYU for one season before leaving for his two-year mission.
(CLICK HERE to read NBCSports.com’s story on Emery)
Emery’s decision comes not long after the Church of Latter Day Saints lowered the minimum mission age for males from 19 to 18. As opposed to what other Mormon college athletes have done in the past, he does not have to play or redshirt one year in college before going on the mission, then return to finish his eligibility in college.
”Two years is a long time to mature and really figure out who I am,” Emery told the Associated Press. ”This is a big bonus. You can go straight out and get those two years done and then you have four straight years in college.”
Once he suits up for the Cougars, BYU will have a lefty gunner who can take over a game with his perimeter shooting. He will need to continue to develop his other point guard skills, but his ability to score should never be a question at the college level.
(CLICK HERE to watch AAU highlights of Emery)
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)