Mar 27, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
James Johnson’s rebuilding job at Virginia Tech got that much harder on Tuesday after, as sophomore Robert Brown announced his intentions to transfer to a program closer to his Florida home.
“Robert wants to be closer to home, and over the course of the year, that was something we were really talking about,” Brown’s father told the Washington Post. “He had a lot on his mind and he said, ‘I just really want to go home or closer to home.’ We’re a close-knit family and we really haven’t been able to see him other than on quick visits and whenever he came to Florida. I think it’ll be a good change of scenery.”
Brown was a four-star recruit coming out of high school, but a prolonged slump in ACC play dropped his scoring average to 8.3 points and his shooting percentages to 33.1% from the floor and 23.5% from three.
Brown’s departure, combined with the graduation of Erick Green, Dorian Finney-Smith’s transfer and Montrezl Harrell going to Louisville instead of Virginia Tech, put Johnson in a really tough spot. Building a program is not an easy thing to do. It gets harder when you have to try while your best players keep heading out the door.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)