Mar 28, 2013, 6:14 PM EST
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
The St. Louis native was a second team All-SEC selection this season, posting averages of 15.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. Young (6-3, 180 pounds) started 25 of the 31 games in which he played, shooting 44.9% from the field and 22.7% from beyond the arc.
Young’s future at the pro level would be at the point and he played the position during his time in Fayetteville, but Young is seen by scouts as a combo guard at this stage in the evaluation process. Young withdrew his name from consideration before the mid-April deadline last season, and per NCAA rules a player is allowed to do so just once during their collegiate career.
“I met with B.J. and his father today and B.J. expressed his interest to enter his name in the NBA Draft,” Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson said in a statement released by the school. “This is his dream and as a coach I encourage him to pursue that dream.
“I gave him the pros and cons of his decision and he chose to enter the draft. B.J. has become a well-rounded player, leading us in scoring and assists and he became a more active rebounder.”
DraftExpress.com ranks Young seventh among NCAA sophomores and 27th on its list of the top 100 prospects for the 2013 NBA Draft. Without Young the Razorbacks still have talent on the perimeter, led by rising junior Rashad Madden and rising senior Mardracus Wade, but this is a big loss for Mike Anderson.
Arkansas’ two commitments in the 2013 class are both big men (Moses Kingsley and Bobby Portis), so Young’s departure may lead to the staff looking to land a late addition on the perimeter.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)