Mar 28, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
The St. Louis native was a second team All-SEC selection this season, posting averages of 15.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. Young (6-3, 180 pounds) started 25 of the 31 games in which he played, shooting 44.9% from the field and 22.7% from beyond the arc.
Young’s future at the pro level would be at the point and he played the position during his time in Fayetteville, but Young is seen by scouts as a combo guard at this stage in the evaluation process. Young withdrew his name from consideration before the mid-April deadline last season, and per NCAA rules a player is allowed to do so just once during their collegiate career.
“I met with B.J. and his father today and B.J. expressed his interest to enter his name in the NBA Draft,” Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson said in a statement released by the school. “This is his dream and as a coach I encourage him to pursue that dream.
“I gave him the pros and cons of his decision and he chose to enter the draft. B.J. has become a well-rounded player, leading us in scoring and assists and he became a more active rebounder.”
DraftExpress.com ranks Young seventh among NCAA sophomores and 27th on its list of the top 100 prospects for the 2013 NBA Draft. Without Young the Razorbacks still have talent on the perimeter, led by rising junior Rashad Madden and rising senior Mardracus Wade, but this is a big loss for Mike Anderson.
Arkansas’ two commitments in the 2013 class are both big men (Moses Kingsley and Bobby Portis), so Young’s departure may lead to the staff looking to land a late addition on the perimeter.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)