Mar 28, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
With 6:23 remaining in the first half Arizona led Ohio State 33-22 and looked to be well on its way to taking control of the Sweet 16 matchup at Staples Center. Outside of Deshaun Thomas the Buckeyes were struggling to score, and to that point in the game Thad Matta’s team was playing one of its worst halves of the season defensively.
But things changed. Ohio State improved defensively and LaQuinton Ross stepped up on the other end of the floor for the Buckeyes, and Arizona lost its poise during what would become a 22-5 Ohio State run.
Ross’ three-pointer with 2.1 seconds remaining may have been the difference on the scoreboard, but it was that 22-5 stretch that put the Wildcats in position to have their hearts broken in the game’s final seconds.
A team that played much of the season with more depth than many of its opponents, Arizona lacked the answer needed to slow down both Ross and Thomas and the Wildcats had to go small as a result. But despite those issues Sean Miller’s squad managed to remain within striking distance with senior Solomon Hill leading the way.
Mark Lyons, who finished his one year as a Wildcat with a team-high 23 points, tied the game at 70 on a three-point play with 21.8 seconds remaining and it looked as if Arizona would dodge another bullet in a season that featured multiple comebacks. It would be Ross who had the final word however, and the end result is a crushing defeat for Arizona.
The final play was technically the game-winner for Ohio State, but the momentum shift that sparked the Buckeyes’ 22-5 run was just as important when evaluating why they won.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)