Mar 28, 2013, 5:06 PM EST
On the heels of a five-win season, the last thing Northern Illinois needs is to lose its leading scorer.
However that’s exactly what may happen, as it was reported by Cavan Walsh of ChicagoHoops.com that 6-7 sophomore forward Abdel Nader has decided to transfer. Nader, who led the Huskies in scoring and was named to the MAC All-Freshman Team last season, averaged 13.1 points and 5.7 rebounds per game this season.
In Mark Montgomery’s first season in Dekalb the Huskies finished 5-25, going 3-13 in MAC play. The low point came on January 26, when NIU managed to score just four first-half points in their 42-25 loss at Eastern Michigan.
Nader is the lone NIU player to average double figures, making this a big loss for a program that shot just 35.8% from the field in 2012-13. Nader’s departure will likely result in more opportunities for forwards Aksel Bolin (7.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg) and Darrell Bowie (5.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg).
It also makes the task of landing a couple late signees in the 2013 class even more important for a program that doesn’t have much talent.
Nader has two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Photo credit: Northern Illinois Athletics
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)