Mar 28, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
It’s game day folks. We’ve been sitting and waiting all week for some real basketball (Sorry N.I.T.) and it’s finally here. But before the games tip-off we got some pressing news and notes we need to discuss.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
More questionable NCAA behavior has been unearth regarding the Nevin Shaprio case. It’s rather quite remarkable how poorly the NCAA has handled the entire investigation. (Miami Herald)
Deadspin dives into the issue of race with Marshall Henderson. I’ve been waiting for an article like this to written. Enjoy. (Deadspin)
Observations & Insight:
– A trip to Washington, D.C. has special meaning for Miami head coach Jim Larranaga, who coached at nearby George Mason and took the Colonials to the Final Four in the same exact building as tonight’s regional semifinal. (Sporting News)
- Thad Matta and Sean Miller are close friends. They’ve been on the same coaching staff together. But on Thursday night, they will compete against each other when Matta’s Buckeyes take on Miller’s Wildcats. (New York Times)
- A relentless defensive effort is one of the hallmarks of a Ric Pitino-coached team. There is one statistic that coach Pitino uses to measure defensive effort, and he has carried it with him from each of his many coaching stops. (Yahoo Sports)
– Shaka Smart turned down the UCLA job and will reportedly sign a contract extension with VCU. (The Dagger)
- Ken Bone has been retained as Washington State’s head coach for at least one more season. (All Coug’d Up)
- Texas sophomore Sheldon McClellan has announced his intentions to transfer out of Austin. (ESPN)
- It looks like sophomore guard Chase Fischer is transferring out of Wake Forest. He would become the ninth player to transfer of be dismissed from the program since Jeff Bzdelik took over in 2010. (Blogger So Dear)
- Dwayne Morgan, a top-50 recruit in the class of 2014, committed to UNLV yesterday. (Baltimore Sun)
- Keith Frazier, a McDonald’s All-American guard out of Dallas, alerted Texas Tech officials about his desire to play for the Red Raiders. He i set to make his announcement today at 4 p.m. EST. (RedRaiders.com)
- Robert Morris is willing to do anything to keep current head coach Andy Toole. The Colonials made headlines last week when they beat Kentucky in the first round of the N.I.T. (Times Online)
Odds & Ends
– Getting to know a mascot: Wichita State’s WuShock. (New York Times)
- I swear this happens every time Wichita State makes the tournament: Current WWE wrestler “The Big Show” played for center for the Shockers back in the early ninties. (Fox Sports)
- Watch Syracuse’s Russ DeRemer eat four bananas in one minute. (Washington Post)
- Butler’s Blue II is officially retiring as school mascot at the end of the school year. But before Blue III takes over, the elder bulldog fills us in on what he’s learned. (Blue II Blog)
Picture of the Day:
This is by far the best use for Peeps I’ve ever seen. (h/t @PeepsBracket)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Dec 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Villanova is off to another good start in the regular season, but heading into the New Year, the Wildcats will need to rack up the wins in postseason play.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
The SMU forward missed the first 10 games.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Gators could be shorthanded once again in Saturday’s non-conference contest with Wake Forest.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
The Indiana sophomore was struck by a vehicle driven by a teammate back in November.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Antravious Simmons averaged 0.7 points and 0.7 rebounds as a redshirt freshman at VCU.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Wildcats are on the road to take on one of Conference USA’s best teams in UTEP, and both No. 18 Miami and No. 20 St. John’s are in action as well.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Jordan Gathers had yet to play in a game this season after undergoing hip surgery in June.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Kansas State is one of many programs looking to land Semi Ojeleye, but all of their scholarships are accounted for currently.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Jones’ dunk on five-star forward Cody Riley is one of the best you’ll see this year.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
When you talk Duke basketball in 2014-15, you start with Player of the Year candidate Jahlil Okafor, but there are plenty of other keys to Duke’s success as we get closer to the new year.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Patrick Cole has been suspended indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Oklahoma-Washington, Ohio State-North Carolina and UCLA-Kentucky are just three of the marquee matchups.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
Even with the win there are things Duke needs to improve upon, most notably the fact that they’ve committed 36 turnovers over the last two games.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Also of note was Ole Miss avoiding what would have been their fourth home loss of the season.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Jabari McGhee suffered the injury in Tennessee’s loss to NC State on Wednesday.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Branden Dawson is the team’s leading rebounder, as he’s grabbing 8.7 boards per contest.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
Gaston Diedhiou was denied admission to Minnesota during the summer, and he is now eligible immediately after passing an English proficiency exam.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
While the focus has been on the Aztecs’ shooting percentages, their ability to find quality looks has been a big reason why they’ve struggled.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
When do we start counting Duke-UConn as a rivalry?
Dec 18, 2014, 3:33 PM EST
Agau was buried on the Louisville bench with a number of young guys in front of him.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)