Mar 28, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s game day folks. We’ve been sitting and waiting all week for some real basketball (Sorry N.I.T.) and it’s finally here. But before the games tip-off we got some pressing news and notes we need to discuss.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
More questionable NCAA behavior has been unearth regarding the Nevin Shaprio case. It’s rather quite remarkable how poorly the NCAA has handled the entire investigation. (Miami Herald)
Deadspin dives into the issue of race with Marshall Henderson. I’ve been waiting for an article like this to written. Enjoy. (Deadspin)
Observations & Insight:
– A trip to Washington, D.C. has special meaning for Miami head coach Jim Larranaga, who coached at nearby George Mason and took the Colonials to the Final Four in the same exact building as tonight’s regional semifinal. (Sporting News)
– Thad Matta and Sean Miller are close friends. They’ve been on the same coaching staff together. But on Thursday night, they will compete against each other when Matta’s Buckeyes take on Miller’s Wildcats. (New York Times)
– A relentless defensive effort is one of the hallmarks of a Ric Pitino-coached team. There is one statistic that coach Pitino uses to measure defensive effort, and he has carried it with him from each of his many coaching stops. (Yahoo Sports)
– Shaka Smart turned down the UCLA job and will reportedly sign a contract extension with VCU. (The Dagger)
– Ken Bone has been retained as Washington State’s head coach for at least one more season. (All Coug’d Up)
– Texas sophomore Sheldon McClellan has announced his intentions to transfer out of Austin. (ESPN)
– It looks like sophomore guard Chase Fischer is transferring out of Wake Forest. He would become the ninth player to transfer of be dismissed from the program since Jeff Bzdelik took over in 2010. (Blogger So Dear)
– Dwayne Morgan, a top-50 recruit in the class of 2014, committed to UNLV yesterday. (Baltimore Sun)
– Keith Frazier, a McDonald’s All-American guard out of Dallas, alerted Texas Tech officials about his desire to play for the Red Raiders. He i set to make his announcement today at 4 p.m. EST. (RedRaiders.com)
– Robert Morris is willing to do anything to keep current head coach Andy Toole. The Colonials made headlines last week when they beat Kentucky in the first round of the N.I.T. (Times Online)
Odds & Ends
– Getting to know a mascot: Wichita State’s WuShock. (New York Times)
– I swear this happens every time Wichita State makes the tournament: Current WWE wrestler “The Big Show” played for center for the Shockers back in the early ninties. (Fox Sports)
– Watch Syracuse’s Russ DeRemer eat four bananas in one minute. (Washington Post)
– Butler’s Blue II is officially retiring as school mascot at the end of the school year. But before Blue III takes over, the elder bulldog fills us in on what he’s learned. (Blue II Blog)
Picture of the Day:
This is by far the best use for Peeps I’ve ever seen. (h/t @PeepsBracket)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Tourney Snacks: Kentucky, Notre Dame win in Midwest; Arizona, Wisconsin advance to set up Elite Eight rematch
Mar 27, 2015, 1:45 AM EDT
The Elite Eight will feature a rematch in the West Regional between Arizona and Wisconsin and Kentucky battling Notre Dame in the Midwest Regional.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Kentucky’s win also means that the Big 12 is down to one team: Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Arizona played slightly better on both ends of the floor in the second half, and they’ll take on No. 1 Wisconsin as a result.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 AM EDT
If you are going to talk, you better be able to back it up
Mar 27, 2015, 12:19 AM EDT
The schedule for Saturday has been released.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:11 AM EDT
Jalen Reynolds dunks everything he gets his hands on, it seems.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:06 AM EDT
No. 1 Kentucky looked completely dominant in an easy win over No. 5 West Virginia.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
This is nasty.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
After Dekker scored 15 points in the first half, Kaminksy scored 15 in the second half for the Badgers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:24 PM EDT
It’s Notre Dame’s first Elite 8 since 1979.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
New Mexico is losing a wing.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Dukes averaged 2.1 points in 7.2 minutes of action per game.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
Josh Jackson, the No. 1 player in the Class of 2016, is down to nine schools.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Adam Smith averaged a team-high 13.4 points per game as a redshirt junior.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
This is a strong stance from the NCAA.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
Dean Smith was unique, that is for sure.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Here is the schedule for the Sweet 16
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Will Tyndall be able to survive the investigation?
Mar 26, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Archie Miller is one of the hottest names in coaching, and Dayton is trying to keep him around as long as possible.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Xavier’s reached the Sweet 16 in five of the last eight seasons, but is there a point where that won’t be good enough?
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)