Mar 28, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s game day folks. We’ve been sitting and waiting all week for some real basketball (Sorry N.I.T.) and it’s finally here. But before the games tip-off we got some pressing news and notes we need to discuss.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
More questionable NCAA behavior has been unearth regarding the Nevin Shaprio case. It’s rather quite remarkable how poorly the NCAA has handled the entire investigation. (Miami Herald)
Deadspin dives into the issue of race with Marshall Henderson. I’ve been waiting for an article like this to written. Enjoy. (Deadspin)
Observations & Insight:
– A trip to Washington, D.C. has special meaning for Miami head coach Jim Larranaga, who coached at nearby George Mason and took the Colonials to the Final Four in the same exact building as tonight’s regional semifinal. (Sporting News)
- Thad Matta and Sean Miller are close friends. They’ve been on the same coaching staff together. But on Thursday night, they will compete against each other when Matta’s Buckeyes take on Miller’s Wildcats. (New York Times)
- A relentless defensive effort is one of the hallmarks of a Ric Pitino-coached team. There is one statistic that coach Pitino uses to measure defensive effort, and he has carried it with him from each of his many coaching stops. (Yahoo Sports)
– Shaka Smart turned down the UCLA job and will reportedly sign a contract extension with VCU. (The Dagger)
- Ken Bone has been retained as Washington State’s head coach for at least one more season. (All Coug’d Up)
- Texas sophomore Sheldon McClellan has announced his intentions to transfer out of Austin. (ESPN)
- It looks like sophomore guard Chase Fischer is transferring out of Wake Forest. He would become the ninth player to transfer of be dismissed from the program since Jeff Bzdelik took over in 2010. (Blogger So Dear)
- Dwayne Morgan, a top-50 recruit in the class of 2014, committed to UNLV yesterday. (Baltimore Sun)
- Keith Frazier, a McDonald’s All-American guard out of Dallas, alerted Texas Tech officials about his desire to play for the Red Raiders. He i set to make his announcement today at 4 p.m. EST. (RedRaiders.com)
- Robert Morris is willing to do anything to keep current head coach Andy Toole. The Colonials made headlines last week when they beat Kentucky in the first round of the N.I.T. (Times Online)
Odds & Ends
– Getting to know a mascot: Wichita State’s WuShock. (New York Times)
- I swear this happens every time Wichita State makes the tournament: Current WWE wrestler “The Big Show” played for center for the Shockers back in the early ninties. (Fox Sports)
- Watch Syracuse’s Russ DeRemer eat four bananas in one minute. (Washington Post)
- Butler’s Blue II is officially retiring as school mascot at the end of the school year. But before Blue III takes over, the elder bulldog fills us in on what he’s learned. (Blue II Blog)
Picture of the Day:
This is by far the best use for Peeps I’ve ever seen. (h/t @PeepsBracket)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Oct 1, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Oregon State has to replace its top five scorers from last season, so being shorthanded doesn’t help matters at all.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Chemistry was a key component in Dayton’s run to the Elite Eight. They’ll begin the 2014-15 season looking to rebuild that without three expected contributors.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Amida Brimah averaged 4.1 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game as a freshman, and he’s fully recovered from offseason shoulder surgery.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
The Big Ten is the first of the five conferences granted autonomy to send recommendations to the NCAA.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
With Missouri’s top three scorers from last season having moved on, Johnathan Williams III will be a key figure in 2014-15.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Spencer averaged 9.1 points and 3.2 rebounds per game last season.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Both with charged with drunk driving offenses during the offseason.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
SDSU’s front court depth will take an early season hit.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Haith earned a commitment from a three-star point guard from Western New York.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Van Vleet has been attending speaking engagements this offseason, trying to give back to the youth.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Jawun Evans is one of the top three point guards in the class.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Do you think the MLB needs some ice for that burn?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
A former Baylor commit is suing his former high school for allegedly altering his grades.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Missouri is losing a wing shooter.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Can an SEC program reel in a top-5 player in the 2015 class during a weekend visit?
Sep 30, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Harvard landed another quality recruit.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
IUPUI unveiled a new court design this week.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Western Kentucky fans were given three options and selected one for the upcoming season.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
NBA teams know all about efficiency stats and advanced analytics. College freshmen and sophomores may not.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Evans may be the best point guard in the Class of 2015, but it’s up for debate.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)