Mar 29, 2013, 6:54 PM EST
Another college basketball coach has locked up a lengthy extension.
Friday afternoon, Northern Iowa head coach Ben Jacobson agreed to a 10-year deal that will keep him as the Panthers head coach until 2023. He joins the likes of VCU’s Shaka Smart and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg as coaches to ink long-term deals with their current teams this offseason.
Through his first six seasons as a head coach, Jacobson has tallied a 129-70 record, with five straight 20-win seasons. The new deal keeps his annual salary at $525,000 with $25,000 annual raises built in, according to The Des Moines Register. This deal extends his contract three years longer than the one he signed back in 2010.
In 2010, Jacobson broke out as a head coach when Northern Iowa made it to the Sweet 16, knocking off top-seeded Kansas during that run. The game was highlighted by Ali Farokhmanesh’s courageous 3-pointer with 35 second remaining; the dagger in the Panthers 69-67 win over the Jayhawks.
Jacobson has been considered for big coaching jobs, including the vacant Minnesota job, according to ESPN. According to the Des Moines Register, Jacobson has repeatedly said he is happy in Cedar Falls.
Northern Iowa finished third — behind Creighton and Wichita State — in the Missouri Valley Conference with a 21-14 (11-7 MVC) record. The Panthers are currently in the semifinal CollegeInsider.com Tournament. Northern Iowa takes on Weber State on Saturday.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)