Mar 29, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
Another college basketball coach has locked up a lengthy extension.
Friday afternoon, Northern Iowa head coach Ben Jacobson agreed to a 10-year deal that will keep him as the Panthers head coach until 2023. He joins the likes of VCU’s Shaka Smart and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg as coaches to ink long-term deals with their current teams this offseason.
Through his first six seasons as a head coach, Jacobson has tallied a 129-70 record, with five straight 20-win seasons. The new deal keeps his annual salary at $525,000 with $25,000 annual raises built in, according to The Des Moines Register. This deal extends his contract three years longer than the one he signed back in 2010.
In 2010, Jacobson broke out as a head coach when Northern Iowa made it to the Sweet 16, knocking off top-seeded Kansas during that run. The game was highlighted by Ali Farokhmanesh’s courageous 3-pointer with 35 second remaining; the dagger in the Panthers 69-67 win over the Jayhawks.
Jacobson has been considered for big coaching jobs, including the vacant Minnesota job, according to ESPN. According to the Des Moines Register, Jacobson has repeatedly said he is happy in Cedar Falls.
Northern Iowa finished third — behind Creighton and Wichita State — in the Missouri Valley Conference with a 21-14 (11-7 MVC) record. The Panthers are currently in the semifinal CollegeInsider.com Tournament. Northern Iowa takes on Weber State on Saturday.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)