Mar 29, 2013, 6:54 PM EST
Another college basketball coach has locked up a lengthy extension.
Friday afternoon, Northern Iowa head coach Ben Jacobson agreed to a 10-year deal that will keep him as the Panthers head coach until 2023. He joins the likes of VCU’s Shaka Smart and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg as coaches to ink long-term deals with their current teams this offseason.
Through his first six seasons as a head coach, Jacobson has tallied a 129-70 record, with five straight 20-win seasons. The new deal keeps his annual salary at $525,000 with $25,000 annual raises built in, according to The Des Moines Register. This deal extends his contract three years longer than the one he signed back in 2010.
In 2010, Jacobson broke out as a head coach when Northern Iowa made it to the Sweet 16, knocking off top-seeded Kansas during that run. The game was highlighted by Ali Farokhmanesh’s courageous 3-pointer with 35 second remaining; the dagger in the Panthers 69-67 win over the Jayhawks.
Jacobson has been considered for big coaching jobs, including the vacant Minnesota job, according to ESPN. According to the Des Moines Register, Jacobson has repeatedly said he is happy in Cedar Falls.
Northern Iowa finished third — behind Creighton and Wichita State — in the Missouri Valley Conference with a 21-14 (11-7 MVC) record. The Panthers are currently in the semifinal CollegeInsider.com Tournament. Northern Iowa takes on Weber State on Saturday.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)