Mar 29, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After being on the coaching staff for Boise State’s run to the NCAA tournament, Broncos associate head coach Dave Wojcik has been named head coach of San Jose State, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com
Sources confirmed this hire to CBS after 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
“My family and I are thrilled and excited for this great opportunity,” said Wojcik in a press release from San Jose State. “I am honored to have the responsibility of taking San Jose State into the Mountain West, one of the best basketball conferences in the nation.
“My staff and I will bring in quality student-athletes who will represent San Jose State and the San Jose community with pride. I think the Spartan fans will be excited with how we play.”
Wojcik spent the past three seasons at Boise State, two of those seasons the Broncos have won more than 20 games, and will now replace George Nessman after Nessman was fired following a 9-20 season, which ended with 14 consecutive losses.
The new Boise State coach has previously held coaching positions as an assistant at Wake Forest. He also served on his brother, Doug’s coaching staff at Tulsa. Doug is currently the head coach of College of Charleston.
“Dave is one of the most well-rounded coaches in the profession,” Boise State head coach Leon Rice said. “He can recruit, he can coach and he relates well to his players. He has played an integral role in building this program the last three years, and his commitment and contributions were a big part of us getting to the NCAA Tournament this season. This is a terrific hire for San Jose State.”
Wojcik will have a project on his hands when he touches down in San Jose, taking over a program that has seen little success. The Spartans finished 3-14 in the WAC, which was only half a game better than conference-worse Seattle. The WAC also features Louisiana Tech, Denver, New Mexico State and Utah State, teams that all won 20 games this season.
Wojcik will be formally introduced as SJSU’s new coach on April 2 at 11:30 a.m.
Photo courtesy BroncoSports.com
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)