Mar 29, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
With two junior college wings in Rutgers’ incoming recruiting class, playing time was likely to be an issue for 6-6 sophomore guard/forward Malick Kone next season.
On Friday morning it was reported that Kone, who averaged 2.3 points and 2.0 rebounds per game this season, has decided to transfer. The news was first reported by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop.
Kone played in 28 of Rutgers’ 31 games in 2012-13, averaging 10.4 minutes per game and shooting 40.9% from the field.
Even with the graduation of Dane Miller minutes were going to be tough to come by, as both Chris Griffin (Wabash Valley College) and Craig Brown (Broward JC) are expected to have an impact in 2013-14.
Rutgers will also add point guard Shane Rector to the program, and if the one-time St. Raymond’s HS (Bronx, N.Y.) product can contribute at the point immediately that would ultimately lead to Eli Carter and Myles Mack seeing even more time off the ball.
How would that affect a player like Kone? If Coach Rice can go small at times with those three (junior Jerome Seagears would also factor into the equation) that would cut into the minutes available to the wings.
Kone, who attended St. George (Va.) Blue Ridge HS after moving to the United State from the west African nation of Guinea, also received interest from schools such as East Carolina, Jacksonville, Marshall, Penn State, Virginia and Virginia Tech before committing to Rutgers.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)