Mar 29, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Four spots in the Elite Eight were handed out last night. Ohio State won on yet another game-winning 3-pointer. Wichita State looked like a legitimate Final Four team against La Salle. Marquette made Miami look like, well, Miami and Syracuse roughed up Indiana worse than any team had done this season.
Four more games are on-tap today, including the return of #DunkCity.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
Ayn Rand’s formula for NCAA success. Make sure you read this. (Bloomberg View)
Observations & Insight:
– Some interesting thoughts on the college coaching search from an actual headhunter. (Land-Grant Holy Land)
- Luke Winn ranks the title chances of the Sweet 16 teams. Obviously, four teams have been eliminated from this list. (Sports Illustrated)
- Bruins Nation always has a strong take on the state of the UCLA athletic department. They believe that the coaching search for the next UCLA head basketball coach will be a defining moment for Bruin basketball. (Bruins Nation)
- Projecting the field in 2014: How many ACC teams will make the NCAA tournament next year? (BC Interruption)
- A look back at the other No. 15-seeds to earn NCAA tournament victories. FGCU is the first No. 15-seed to make the Sweet 16, but five other No. 15-seeds have won tournament games. (Penn Live)
– Butler head coach Brad Stevens is believed to be one of UCLA’s key coaching targets. But then again, almost every major program that has had a coaching vacancy in the last three seasons has targeted Stevens. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Part of Shaka Smart’s new contract extension at VCU is that his entire salary will be privately funded, meaning no student fees, tuition or state money will go towards Smart’s new salary. (USA Today)
- Robert Morris head coach Andy Toole was on the Siena campus yesterday interviewing for the Saint’s head coaching vacancy. Toole’s stock has skyrocketed following the Colonials’ N.I.T. win over defending national champions Kentucky. (Albany Union-Times)
- Abdel Nader, the leading scorer for Northern Illinois, has decided to transfer following a 5-win season. (Rant Sports)
- Justin Edwards, the America East’s top scorer, has announced that he will transfer out of Maine. (Bangor Daily News)
- Could Verizon and their inflated subscriber fees be the downfall to the impending super-conference era? (VU Hoops)
Odds & Ends
– The south regional finals are being held at Cowboy Stadium, home of the world’s most unnecessarily large TV. (The Dagger)
- Reese Waters of ESPN’s “UNITE” show fills us in on how to cure “March Sadness”. (ESPN Playbook)
- A treasure trove of FGCU dunks, .GIFs and #DunkCity memorabilia. (The Dagger)
- Jahlil Okafor, the top recruit in the class of 2014, doesn’t like it when coaches mispronounce his name. Welcome to the club, pal. Have you seen my last name? (USA Today HS)
- Sports bars in Lawrence, KS are cracking down on customers who abuse March Madness privileges. (KUsports.com)
- Aaron Craft crossed-up Arizona’s Nick Johnson pretty badly in the first half their West regional semifinal. (The Big Lead)
- I saw this live. It wasn’t pretty. My face began to hurt just watching the replay. (The Big Lead)
- These are good, especially “Madison Ware Garden”. (Card Chronicle)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Is this team better than Philly?
Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 PM EDT
Quick action by construction workers ensured that it was declared ready for play two days after being flooded.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Some officials are in hot water after compromising a system used by 20 different Division I conferences.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Saint Louis adds more depth to its front court with this verbal commitment.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
I can do that.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
John Egbunu was an American Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team selection at USF last season.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Preseason Atlantic 10 Player of the Year is looking to lead VCU deep into March.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Chris Clarke is a perfect fit for Donnie Tyndall.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
The Golden Griffins have to account for the loss of four starters from last season’s 21-win team.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Feel free to take this as my challenge to you all.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
North Carolina should be a national title contender, but they do have some question marks.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Dayton head coach Archie Miller spurned high-major programs to remain at Atlantic 10. He’s not the only one in the league happy with where they are.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Pollard is looking to reignite his career at Houston this season.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 is out to gain respect again this season from the rest of the college basketball world, a year after the league saw a record six teams selected for the NCAA tournament with one team reaching the Elite 8.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Kemba being Kemba.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The list of big men dominating college basketball this season is solid.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Bobby Cremins says that his relationships with other coaches has led to his having to recuse himself from other cases in the past.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Zach Lofton was expected to develop into a more efficient player during his year sitting out per NCAA transfer rules.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Monson is four wins away from becoming Long Beach State’s winningest coach.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Buffalo, Canisius, Niagara and St. Bonaventure will wear Buffalo Braves-inspired uniforms for their doubleheader November 29.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)